Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I install Windows 7 from a USB stick even though I have the Superdrive?

I have an iMac 21.5inch from Mid 2010 and it currently runs Snow Leopard 10.6.8. I have just purchased the upgrade to Mountain Lion but I have not received the code to install it yet. When I do install it, I'm planning to dual boot my iMac to have Mountain Lion and Windows 7 on it. I have the Superdrive built into the side of the iMac but unfortunately I have run out of discs to burn the official Windows 7 ISO into (from Digital river). The discs cannot be rewritten on because it's a DVD-R so I was wondering if I could install from my 8GB USB stick even though I have a built-in Superdrive. I heard there's an option to do this and I was also wondering if by doing this option, will it automatically put the Windows support software onto it as it says on the second option "Download Windows Support ....."

Also, I have heard my specific iMac can experience a black screen when installing Windows and you need to download some stuff and put it in your USB as it says on the article. Is it possible for me to make my USB bootable by doing the first option in the Bootcamp Assistant as well as put the Windows support software I downloaded from the black screen article into it?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 19, 2014 5:05 AM

There are no replies.

Can I install Windows 7 from a USB stick even though I have the Superdrive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.