Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help - iMac Storage/New user account question

Ok - so I've assumed that my user account was corrupt as Ive been having problems with Safari crashing/freezing the whole of my Mac, but thats another storey.

So i decided to create a new user account to delete the old one. I copied the following folders from my original user account into the shared folder first of all:

Pictures

Music

Movies

Documents

I've now deleted the old account and copied these folders from Shared into my new user account - actually Ive just left Music, Pictures & Movies in shared and am going to point the relevant apps such as iTunes to the shared folder.

The problem I have, is that I've lost over 100gb of storage somewhere on the Mac and I can't see where!

As far as I can see, I've deleted everything so that there is only one copy now and have emptied the Trash folder.

Anybody got any suggestions - perhaps a hidden folder somewhere?

Thanks

iMac

Posted on Apr 19, 2014 7:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2014 8:50 AM

GrandPerspective or Omnidisksweeper may help.

You did delete the old Home folder from /Users ?.

4 replies

Apr 20, 2014 12:03 PM in response to andyBall_uk

Hi andy - thanks for your reply.

Sorry for my delay in responding - had family staying with us all weekend and not had a chance to get on my computer.

I'm pretty sure that I have deleted the old Home folder from my old user account, as I just deleted the whole account through preferences. I can't seem to see it anywhere anyway.

I've just used Omnidisksweeper - one thing I have noticed is that I have my iMovie library file which is 98 gig and also an 'iMovie Events' folder at 94 gig. Both appear to contain the same files - at least they both appear to have the same .mov files.

I might try and get rid of the Events folder - not sure if I need that or not?

Apr 20, 2014 12:12 PM in response to Steviewo

>>... I can't seem to see it anywhere anyway...

It would be a folder or disk image (.dmg) in /Users, along with your current account home.

>>I might try and get rid of the Events folder - not sure if I need that or not?

iMovie (2013): Updating projects and events from previous versions of iMovie

and especially

iMovie (2013): Removing old libraries after updating

say that you probably don't...

'You can delete these folders if you no longer want to work with them in the previous version of iMovie.

Before removing your projects and events, make sure they have been updated for iMovie version 10.'

Help - iMac Storage/New user account question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.