Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone synching. Complicated one.

I can't sync my iPhone to iTunes for Mac because it is synched to my old computer which is Windows-based. I have to completely erase everything on my phone it order for it to be synched. The problem is, my old computer was reformatted. So the last copies of my songs are in my phone. Another thing, I know I can easily backup the pictures and videos in my iPhone thorugh iPhoto or Finder. The problem is, whenever I create a backup of the entire iPhone via iTunes, it copies everything and restores everything. Is there a way for me not to restore the pictures and videos? Or how about deleting my 3000+ pictures and videos in my phone all at once. Is it possible to do that?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 19, 2014 8:19 AM

6 replies

Apr 19, 2014 8:56 AM in response to jkadg

jkadg wrote:

So the last copies of my songs are in my phone.

-> Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device

Another thing, I know I can easily backup the pictures and videos in my iPhone thorugh iPhoto or Finder. The problem is, whenever I create a backup of the entire iPhone via iTunes, it copies everything and restores everything.

Copy the photos & videos to iPhontos then delete them on the iPhone

Then backup and restore from backup. All your data will be restored except the photos and videos.

Or how about deleting my 3000+ pictures and videos in my phone all at once. Is it possible to do that?

When you sync them ot iPhoto, after it syncs it will ask to delete.

Apr 20, 2014 9:13 AM in response to Chris CA

Chris CA wrote:

iPhontos or iPhotos?

iPhoto.

How about if I don't use iPhotos and just simply use Finder. Can I still delete everything?

Not with the Finder.

You don't want to save any of these 3000 Photos?

You can use Image Capture (in your Applications folder) to delete the photos on your iPhone.

I'd love to save everything and use delete them after.

What's the difference of the folder stuctures of copying the picture and videos from an iPhone using Image Capture, iPhoto and Aperture? Because I will definitely copy everything to an external hard drive.

Apr 20, 2014 9:16 AM in response to jkadg

jkadg wrote:

What's the difference of the folder stuctures of copying the picture and videos from an iPhone using Image Capture, iPhoto and Aperture?

Using iPhoto or Aperature, they are copy to the HD inot the respecting library folders and added to the respective library.

Using ImageCapture, they are simply copied to the HD, wherever you tell it.

Apr 23, 2014 12:28 AM in response to Chris CA

Chris CA wrote:

Using iPhoto or Aperature, they are copy to the HD inot the respecting library folders and added to the respective library.

Using ImageCapture, they are simply copied to the HD, wherever you tell it.

I tried using iPhoto to copy everything since by default, it is the app that is being launched whenever you plugin an Apple product, like for example and iPhone. I copied everything. Now, I am trying to copy everything to my external drive. Whenever I visit my Home Directory ~/Pictures/ I just see iPhoto Library and that's it. Just a single file.

Another thing, I am really not familiar with the Split Events feature. All of my pictures were divided into the date they were taken. Is there a way to unsplit them? I just want to label them the time that I backed up those pictures and videos.

iPhone synching. Complicated one.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.