Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A line of pixels go black across screen?

Sometimes when I open the lid of my Retina Macbook Pro, there is a horizontal black line which looks to me as if they're dead pixels. They'll go away after I open any app and only happens when the lid has been closed for a few hours. What's causing this?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Apr 19, 2014 9:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2014 11:34 AM

Hey there kevkear,

It sounds like you are seeing a line of black pixels on your screen after it has been asleep and closed for a bit. I would use the troubleshooting from the following article named:

Apple computers: Troubleshooting issues with video on internal or external displays

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1573

These steps in particular:

Reset the system

You can reset the Mac's parameter RAM and SMC.

Reset the resolution

Start by resetting the Mac's parameter RAM. If the display does not come up, was previously set to an unsupported resolution, and still results in no video:

1. Start up in Safe Mode.
  2. From the Apple () menu, choose System Preferences.
  3. Choose Displaysfrom the View menu to open the preferences pane.
  4. Select any resolution and refresh rate that your display supports.
  5. Restart your computer.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the very best,

Sterling

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2014 11:34 AM in response to kevkear

Hey there kevkear,

It sounds like you are seeing a line of black pixels on your screen after it has been asleep and closed for a bit. I would use the troubleshooting from the following article named:

Apple computers: Troubleshooting issues with video on internal or external displays

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1573

These steps in particular:

Reset the system

You can reset the Mac's parameter RAM and SMC.

Reset the resolution

Start by resetting the Mac's parameter RAM. If the display does not come up, was previously set to an unsupported resolution, and still results in no video:

1. Start up in Safe Mode.
  2. From the Apple () menu, choose System Preferences.
  3. Choose Displaysfrom the View menu to open the preferences pane.
  4. Select any resolution and refresh rate that your display supports.
  5. Restart your computer.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the very best,

Sterling

A line of pixels go black across screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.