Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NetRestore images losing settings

Hi all,

I often need to set up machines with a specific configuration for kiosk use - so various options are disabled to "lock down" the mac, energy saving/screensaver disabled etc.

Doing so individually is time-consuming and prone to mistakes, so I have set up my desk Mac Mini to run Server with NetInstall, and host a NetRestore image created from a machine which I had configured precisely how I wanted it.

I successfully restored this image to various Mac Minis - however, whilst most of the things are there just as they should be (user accounts, most settings, other files etc)... some settings don't seem to transfer.

It doesn't seem to ever transfer...

• Screen saver settings
  • System Preferences set to disable volume, bluetooth, clock etc from the taskbar

Both of these are a pain because I then have to individually configure each mac, which is what I aimed to avoid!

As an aside, using Carbon Copy Cloner results in the same behaviour. Is there something I'm missing in terms of getting these settings to transfer to another mac?

Many thanks for any assistance!

Cheers,

Tom.

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Apr 19, 2014 9:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2014 1:06 PM

These are called byhost preferences. SIU has a feature to tweak them so they work on your target. See this discussion:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5905976?answerId=24907240022#24907240022

5 replies

Apr 21, 2014 5:06 AM in response to tejb1

Hi all,

I tried to create a new NetRestore image using a custom SIU workflow. I have ticked the box "Change Byhost preferences to match client after install" - but unfortunately the preferences still don't transfer. I have included a a screenshot of the workflow below - is there something I'm missing?

Many thanks,

Tom.

User uploaded file

NetRestore images losing settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.