Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my airplay mirroring is choppy

everytime i try to use airplay mirroring for playing movies, hulu, etc it is always choppy. Both my iMac and my AppleTv 3 is up to date, both are plug directly into the router (netgear R6200), i turn off WMM setting in my router settings, tried different HDMI cables, even a different router and still the same. When i use Hulu and netflix directly from my ApplyTv i have no issue it works perfectly. Please Help i have ran out of ideas

iMac, apply tv

Posted on Apr 19, 2014 10:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2017 9:41 AM

Hate to say it, but I've tested this on multiple Macs with a couple of different AppleTV's and they all have the same problem. I've tried this using both WiFi as well as direct ethernet connection. There is a serious flaw in the MacOS implementation of Airplay Mirroring that doesn't exist under iOS. For instance, when I connect various iPhone and iPads to the AppleTV, the mirroring works flawlessly. Never a hiccup. Only under MacOS does this problem appear. And it happens Every. Single. Time.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2017 9:41 AM in response to jbursey1981

Hate to say it, but I've tested this on multiple Macs with a couple of different AppleTV's and they all have the same problem. I've tried this using both WiFi as well as direct ethernet connection. There is a serious flaw in the MacOS implementation of Airplay Mirroring that doesn't exist under iOS. For instance, when I connect various iPhone and iPads to the AppleTV, the mirroring works flawlessly. Never a hiccup. Only under MacOS does this problem appear. And it happens Every. Single. Time.

Apr 1, 2017 9:44 AM in response to vazandrew

I've tested every possible network LAN configuration I could think of.... to no avail. And I'm running gigabit ethernet throughout. Also tested with WiFi and turning off all QoS, etc. Nothing changes. Even testing 10+ computers with different versions of MacOS (10.10.x - 10.12.x) and they all have the identical problem. However, iOS mirroring works flawlessly. There is something vastly different with the MacOS implementation of Airplay than the iOS version. It appears Apple needs to seriously address this persistent problem.

Apr 1, 2017 11:20 AM in response to Doug Stringham

Hi. Are you familiar with the difference between mirroring and basic AirPlay (video streaming)? Mirroring requires the graphics chip to convert the screen buffer to video, while basic AirPlay just works with the video you're watching. The following describes this in more detail.

Video AirPlay works in two modes. Basic AirPlay just sends the video URL to Apple TV, which then streams it directly. This usually works best since there's no double transmission. You're using basic AirPlay when the video player on your device goes black and says "This video is playing on Apple TV". On a computer, you enable this using the AirPlay icon that appears in the controls of a screen video player object, inside the browser or other app. On iPad or iPhone, use the AirPlay controls on the right hand pane of the iOS 10 Control Center (on iPhone, tap the arrow with circles icon at the bottom), or the AirPlay icon in the video player. An app can prevent basic AirPlay, and a website may have requirements that only work in the browser, so basic AirPlay may not always work.

The other mode is Mirroring, which generates an H.264 video stream from the device frame buffer and transmits it over WiFi to Apple TV. This video compression inherently limits resolution, and may have trouble with fast motion. On iPad or iPhone, mirroring is on the left hand pane of the iOS 10 Control Center. On a Mac computer, you access this mode from the AirPlay icon in the main menu bar. It lets you mirror the main display, or create a new display, extending the desktop. But remember that the data sent to the Apple TV is always being converted to a live video stream. Unlike a normal wired monitor connection, actual display frame buffer pixels are not transmitted. When you put the iPad or iPhone video player into full screen mode, mirroring may automatically switch to basic AirPlay. If the server doesn't support basic AirPlay, this may prevent mirroring full screen video.

Apr 1, 2017 5:41 PM in response to vazandrew

At the AppleTV port it is getting 106MB/sec peak with an average of 98MB/sec. Latency is less than 2ms. No lost packets. Source Mac has nearly identical report regardless of which machine I perform tests. I have tested this on other 1Gb Ethernet machines. All getting nearly identical performance. Machines tested include the new Mac Pro 12-core w/ 64GB RAM and two 2015 iMacs both with i7 processors and 32GB RAM. Single apps running on all machines with less than 10% CPU usage through testing.

Apr 1, 2017 7:05 PM in response to Doug Stringham

Hi Doug Stringham. It sounds like you have a very high performance wired network. If you're using DHCP for Apple TV, you might check the DHCP server logs. Apple TV on ethernet can generate a lot of extra DHCP lease renewal requests. If it's doing that, it might be a cause for glitches in playback. Also, it may not matter, but the Apple TV ethernet interface is 10/100 Mb/s only.

my airplay mirroring is choppy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.