Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to Install OSX Mav Because USB Is Not Working

Hi hopefully smart people,

My final goal is to install the newest OSX, but some problems on the way arose..

I am using a late 11 MacBook Pro on 10.7.5

First i noticed that my USB ports were not working. Nothing appears neither in finder or in disc utility.

so i tried:

1. check that all boxes in finder are ticked.

2. SMC reset

3. pRAM reset

4. verify/repair disc permissions in disc utillity.

when i verify permissions i get this error message after five seconds:

"Advarsel: SUID-filen «System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAg ent» har blitt endret og vil ikke bli reparert.

Feil: Verifisering eller reparering av rettigheter mislyktes."

OR if you cant speak Norwegian:

"Warning: The SUID-file «System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAg ent» have been changed and can not be repaired."

Failure: verification or reparir of permissions failed."

I have found out that that error message usually is nothing to worry about (at leastfor 10.5 and 10.6). Except when the whole verification fails which it does for me.

So my next step was to try to just reset the whole machine.

The problem is I dont have a backup.

Since my USB is not working i can not connect a portable harddrive.

So I wanted to partion my harddrive to backup with timecapsule. But i did not have any space.

So then I deleted what was on my windows bootcamp partion since it wasnt working anyways. The thing is that now I have a 500gb partion that is almost full. the other partion (or part of the toshiba drive whatever it currently is called) of 150gb is just blank with no name in disc utility. When i try to format, I get the following error message:

"... verification of the filesystem failed."

Then i said f it and went on with the OSX mavericks update anyways. But i got an error message. Cant remember what it was but i think it had something to do with the disc repair blahablabla as usual...

So 1. what i want is to be able to partion my disc and back up my data, or just get the USB ports to work. 2. The only way of doing this seems to be a system reset or/and an OSX update. The only way to succeed with 2 is by solving 1 which can only be done with 2 and so on. PARADOX

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Mission almost impossible

Posted on Apr 19, 2014 11:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2014 12:19 PM

I notice that it is the Apple Remote Deployment agent that fails to verify, does that mean you have other Macs on your local network?

Can you copy your data to another Mac on the network, it will not be as fast but at least you will get a backup of your data and can then repartitiion the hard drive in the Mac and reinstall the OS.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2014 12:19 PM in response to ludwig_c

I notice that it is the Apple Remote Deployment agent that fails to verify, does that mean you have other Macs on your local network?

Can you copy your data to another Mac on the network, it will not be as fast but at least you will get a backup of your data and can then repartitiion the hard drive in the Mac and reinstall the OS.

Apr 20, 2014 7:47 AM in response to rack0 tack0

I did it now.

After that i tried to verify in disc utility. got this mseesage:

"Verifiserer rettigheter for «Macintosh HD»

Bruker stemmer ikke overens på «System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app». Skal være 0, men bruker er 501.

Bruker stemmer ikke overens på «System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents». Skal være 0, men bruker er 501.

[...]

Bruker stemmer ikke overens på «System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/_CodeSignat ure/CodeResources». Skal være 0, men bruker er 501.

Bruker stemmer ikke overens på «System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/version.pli st». Skal være 0, men bruker er 501.

Feil: Verifisering eller reparering av rettigheter mislyktes."

translation:

(User does not match on «System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app». should be 0, but user is 501.

Error: Verification or repair of permissions failed.)

then i tried to repair and got this:

"

User does not match on «System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app». should be 0, but user is 501

[...and so on for ALL files...]

Error: Verification or repair of permissions failed.

I dont know why it says it FAILED because after eache file it says it is repaired.

And then I verified again and ended up with the message i had in the first place :s

"Warning: The SUID-file «System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAg ent» have been changed and can not be repaired."

I also tried to format the disc but get the same message.

Apr 20, 2014 8:07 AM in response to ludwig_c

Just to confirm, you now have a copy of your data?

Then using Disc Utility are there any SMART error reported, if it states Smart status verified then that is good, if there are SMART errors then the most likely reason is the HDD failing and requires replacing.

If the SMART status is good and you have a copy of your data, repartition the disk and reinstall the OS.

Unable to Install OSX Mav Because USB Is Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.