Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X won't let me uninstall/delete iTunes

I'm trying to delete/uninstall my iTunes on my macbook because I've been having some account issues and would like it to forget my previous iTunes account. However, whenever I try to delete iTunes a window pops up telling me that OS X won't let me modify/delete this file. Is there anyway to get past this? I'm planning on reinstalling iTunes if I can get it uninstalled after.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 19, 2014 2:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2014 3:07 PM

Install the new version. It will overwrite the old version. (Of course, doing so will not delete any account or data.)

You cannot delete/uninstall iTunes because it is inherently included as part of OS X. Trying to do so is the wrong approach. Instead, clean out whatever data you no longer want some other way, such as in iTunss itself.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2014 3:07 PM in response to Summer2244

Install the new version. It will overwrite the old version. (Of course, doing so will not delete any account or data.)

You cannot delete/uninstall iTunes because it is inherently included as part of OS X. Trying to do so is the wrong approach. Instead, clean out whatever data you no longer want some other way, such as in iTunss itself.

OS X won't let me uninstall/delete iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.