Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz 4GM Ram-

MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5

4GB Ram 1333 MHz DDR3

Currently running 10.6.8

I have had a lot of issues with my machine not being able to recover from sleep. I took it in, I wiped it clean, reloaded, reset Ram. It is definately better now. It still does the crazy 3 beeps when booting up sometimes. It started when I began using Google chrome, Light Room, Stumbled Upon. I design jewelry and editing the pictures for my shop is when I believe the problems began. I also ran a package to check the ram and it came back clean. VERY confusing. The last thing I did was re seat the Ram.

My question -

Would Maverick be a better system for me? I recently got an email from Lightroom and Photoshop for a monthly program in the Cloud. They only addressed Mac w/Maverick in all of the FAQs.

Made me think that those packages are better equipped to interact.

Any knowledgable advice would be greatly appreciated. I still have not been saving much of anything on my hd since things have been so unstable but I'm getting crazy!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.6.8), Erased, reloaded op system

Posted on Apr 19, 2014 2:00 PM

5 replies

Apr 19, 2014 2:38 PM in response to shadfield51

shadfield51 wrote:

It still does the crazy 3 beeps when booting up sometimes.

It should not do that. Take the RAM out and clean the contacts and replace them making certain that the modules are well seated.

. It started when I began using Google chrome, Light Room, Stumbled Upon.

Google Chrome and OSX have a history of not getting on well with each other. I do not use it and have Firefox, Safari and Opera instead. I recommend that you delete Chrome and try other browsers. I consider Firefox the best.

I also ran a package to check the ram and it came back clean.

Did you use Rember from Kelly Computing or something else?

Would Maverick be a better system for me? I recently got an email from Lightroom and Photoshop for a monthly program in the Cloud. They only addressed Mac w/Maverick in all of the FAQs.

If these applications are tailored for Mavericks, then you have no choice. Note that any PPC applications that you may have will not run on Mavericks.

I suggest that you install at least 8 GB RAM (from either OWC or Crucial) and perhaps a 1 TB HD. Partition the HDD and install Mavericks on one retaining Snow Leopard on the other. Experience should determine if you should choose one over the other or retain both. This is a minimal risk approach.

Ciao.

Apr 19, 2014 2:58 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

First of all, thanks so much for your time and knowledge! Even an over night stay at Apple Genius did not cure my issues.

1.)

shadfield51 wrote:

It still does the crazy 3 beeps when booting up sometimes.

It should not do that. Take the RAM out and clean the contacts and replace them making certain that the modules are well seated.

I was shocked at how dusty it was when I took off the back off the machine! I was scared to touch anything so I just blew on it a lot. RE seating the ram seems to be the thing that helped the most.

Everything that I read said not to touch the gold parts of the ram so I was probably overly careful. I'll try again.

2.)

. It started when I began using Google chrome, Light Room, Stumbled Upon.

Google Chrome and OSX have a history of not getting on well with each other. I do not use it and have Firefox, Safari and Opera instead. I recommend that you delete Chrome and try other browsers. I consider Firefox the best.

Several expensive (for me) training packages that aim to help with marketing etc for my jewelry line - are directly tied to extentions in Google Chrome. I have switched back to Safari when I'm not actively using those systems and the machine will operate longer and better. BUT it will still happen. The 3 beeps were happening during use too but not since I re seated the Ram.

3.) I used Rember to check the ram. It ran for 8 hours but everything came back ok.

I went to Crucial to get 8GB RAM but they recommended running Rember first since new ram might make the machine run better in any case but if Ram was not the "Problem"....then I'd still have the problem. I was beginning to think that I would have to buy an entire new machine - it has cut in to my productivity and stress like crazy. Now, I'm more use to it.

Is it difficult to segment the hard drive the way you suggested? The other idea that I had was to try Apple's more advanced photo editing package. I would still need chrome for mkt'g but I can tell that LightRoom has a heavy impact on my computer. So sad.

Thanks again for your time! I so appreciate it and will move forward with the increased Ram.

Sheri

Apr 19, 2014 4:19 PM in response to shadfield51

Clean the RAM contacts with a fine microfiber cloth (eye glasses cloth?) with alcohol.

Use a fine brush and brush out the dust. You can have a vacuum cleaner a few inches away to capture the dust.

Look at this video for installation instructions:

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macbookpro_13_unibody_early11_hd/

It really is not difficult. I put the MBP on a clean towel on a flat surface. That way if you drop a screw, it will not roll away very far and the MBP is easy to move without scratching it.

I recommend this HDD as an internal one. I have used these and they are quite good.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/HGST/0J22423/

Naturally you need a larger capacity HDD for backups (Time Machine). This is what I currently use:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/HGST/0J28001/

To perform the installation, you will need a #00 Phillips and a #6 Torx drivers. A good hardware store should have them. Get good ones, they do make a difference.

Ciao.

Apr 20, 2014 2:45 AM in response to shadfield51

There is a first time for every thing. Plan an spending an hour or more on a job that should take 15 minutes at most. If you do not hurry and constantly review what has to be done, you can eliminate mistakes. After I replaced my first HDD in my first MBP (pre-unibody and much more involved) I realized it was not brain surgery.

Good luck and do let me know the results.

Ciao.

MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz 4GM Ram-

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.