Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is this why the login keychain issues arose in Mavericks?

I'm sensitive to posting the same question multiple times, or to posting a question that has already been asked. I don't think I'm doing that here.

My question is this: Is their a new requirement since Snow Leopard whereas the Login keychain (not the Local Items keychain) must remain unlocked because there are so many additional clients? I'm talking about the settings on the keychain where you can check the period of time after which the keychain should be locked, and if the keychain should be locked upon sleep.

If so, then I think I get it: When you upgrade from Snow Leopard (and perhaps even other lesser versions) to Mavericks, the Login keychain settings can cause an issue, but which a clean install of Mavericks, the settings both default to unchecked.

Is that it? What I 'd like to understand is if that is a new requirement the violation of which results in all of the password prompts, or if the unchecking of those locking options is a temporary fix.

Thank you.

Posted on Apr 19, 2014 3:41 PM

9 replies

Apr 20, 2014 6:24 AM in response to NewYorkYogi

All of my stuff syncs via iCloud. No issues.

AddressBookSourceSync is a holdover from MobileMe. It shouldn't exist anymore.

According to this thread: What is AddressBookSourceSync?: Apple Support Communities, it is something in the AddressBook folder. One poster suggested deleting the contents of AddressBook, then re-enabling iCloud Contacts which will bring your contacts back. If you are not using iCloud, Export your contacts to a Contacts Archive, then restore from that. Probably best to do that anyway.

This seems to fix the intenetAccounts issue: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5513351

Maybe you should look at the links that come up when you google instead of just counting the hits.

Apr 20, 2014 8:12 AM in response to Barney-15E

There isn't any need to resort to sarcasm. I read many of the links both inside and outside of this group before starting this thread. 🙂

AddressBookSourceSync being related to MobleMe is a new one on me, thank you.

Regarding leaving the login keychain unlocked, here is a link, referred to by some of the discussion groups, that speaks to it as a general solution:

http://www.igorkromin.net/index.php/2013/10/28/calendaragent-wants-to-use-your-l ogin-keychain-messages-after-upgrading-to-os-x-mavericks/

Lastly, in the very link you posted:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5513351

...the reply by Linc Davis cited as This Helped Me speaks to leaving the login keychain unlocked:

<snip>

Right-click or control-click the login entry in the list. From the menu that pops up, select Change Settings for Keychain "login". In the sheet that opens, uncheck both boxes, if not already unchecked.

<snip>

As to iCloud, I thought it used the Local Items keychain, and not the Login keychain. My issue with that was resolved by deleting a folder whose name looked like a GUID and rebooting; not recalling the Apple KB article at the moment.

As to identityservicesd, it started popping up when I enabled FaceTime on my MBP and went away when I disabled it.

As to com.apple.internetaccounts.xpc popping up, that is related to my desire to sync my contacts and calendar to Google; when I stopped doing that, it went away.

So, it seems that Apple resolved this issue for iCloud by creating a separate local items keychain with separate locking management, but perhaps for some other features, the login keychain being locked creates issues? Could that be it?

Apr 20, 2014 1:32 PM in response to NewYorkYogi

All the Syncing mechanisms have been essentially removed from Mavericks. There isn't a SyncServices framework that does what used to happen.

You can't sync your calendar to Google as that syncing is gone. You can, however, use the CalDAV services that Google provides now for it's Calendars, same as iCloud.

It doesn't sync as it used to. There is a central repository. Each device sends changes to that repository. Last in wins. The changes uploaded to the central repository are then pushed back out to all the other devices.

The bottom line is you were using all features that were made obsolete in Mavericks. That is why you were having so many problems with them.

Apr 20, 2014 9:42 PM in response to Barney-15E

Hi Barney,

Thank you for your input; much appreciated.

Yeah. I learned about the removal of the syncing mechanisms from setting up my iPad. On my iPhone, I use the Gmail app for email but the Exchange setup for Google Contacts and Calendars because it pushes changes instantaneously. As you say, this is disabled for new devices, and so on my (newer) iPad I use the Google for Contacts, and Calendars, but I still use the Gmail app for email.

On my MBP, I use the web interface for gmail (I don't use the Mail app at all).

On my MBP, I just set up Internet Accounts to use Google for Contacts and Calendar, and I set up an email address for FaceTime. I don't have iCloud services turned on.

With the Login keychain set to never lock per Linc Davis' suggestion, all is well here. Even after a reboot, no extraneous prompts for the Login keychain password.

Which begs the question: In Mavericks is there basically a new requirement that the login keychain must remain unlocked?

Apr 21, 2014 4:38 AM in response to NewYorkYogi

Which begs the question: In Mavericks is there basically a new requirement that the login keychain must remain unlocked?

I already answered that long ago. I set mine to Lock after 5 minutes and had no ill effects, except when Mail wanted to check mail.

I believe all of your problems arise because of all the MobileMe and Gmail syncing cruft left behind.

Is this why the login keychain issues arose in Mavericks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.