Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no sound in garageband 10

I get sound when I create new account on computer and use garageband 10 in the new account but on my original account that I have used for five years, I don't get any sound and am unable to search for keyboard sounds in search window. imoji 2 for icons on my iphone poped up on my garageband screen when I treid to search for something in the garage band library. I deleted that app in itunes, which I use for backup for my iphone but garageband still has no sound. I also re-indexed loops with no success. I also restored purchases and that didn't work either. I have a midi keyboard with 61 keys which works fine in garageband in other "test" account with empty user settings. The apple store tried re-installing garageband 10 but that didn't work either. The apple store said I should wait for a software update that will fix the problem. Any ideas?

MacBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 2.4 ghz core 2 duo, 8 gigs of RAM

Posted on Apr 19, 2014 4:43 PM

5 replies

Apr 19, 2014 11:34 PM in response to Paul Riley

If the problem only occurs in your main user account, but not in a new test user account, you probably have something installed in your user library that is interfering.

I have a midi keyboard with 61 keys which works fine in garageband

Do you have any software/drivers installed for that keyboard in your main account? Which keyboard is it? Do you have any plug-ins installed, sound fonts etc, that are only installed in your main account?

The first thing to try is to delete GarageBands preferences files and to clear the caches in your user library. Reveal your user library like this, if it is still hidden:

• Quit GarageBand .
  • Select the "Home" folder icon (the little house) in the Finder's sidebar and press the key combination ⌘J to open the "view options". Enable "Show Library Folder".
  • User uploaded file

Now open the Library folder inside the Home Folder and remove these files to a folder on the Desktop: (Note, you will have to reenter all your preferences settings after this, so take a note of your settings).

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.garageband10/

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.garageband.plist

~/Library/Caches/garageband

After removing these files, restart your system and try GarageBand again.

Compare, if you have anything installed in

~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/ or ~/Library/Audio/Midixxxxx in your main user account, that is not installed in your test account - any old midi drivers, VST plug-ins, that might need updating?

Apr 20, 2014 2:56 PM in response to léonie

I tried all that, there is no difference in test account plugins and main user account plugins or midi drivers. I am unable to type text in search window. I uninstalled all backup ios apps in iTunes. Should I re-install garageband now? After I tried all that there is still no sound from loops, keyboard, and unable to type in search window for keyboard sounds. The keyboard I have is Alesis Q61. This keyboard works fine in "test" account...

Apr 20, 2014 4:19 PM in response to léonie

I noticed some screensavers that where installed on my main account that I got from a website that is no longer there, these were emulators of windows 2000, xp screensavers and one called "the matrix" that has text scrolling down the window in green color that is like the movie. I'm re-installing garage band, I am using secure empty trash to delete garage band 10 and screen savers and some fonts that were in my main account that were not in my test account.... My next post is the results if any.... maybe it will work.

no sound in garageband 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.