Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This movie can be played only on displays that support HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection).

I try to play the movies, wcich were played before, but now I get a message: " This movie can be played only on displays that support HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection)." Why?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Apr 19, 2014 4:29 PM

3 replies

May 23, 2015 5:03 PM in response to Retired Engineer

I have received the same message, not running an external screen just using mac book air running OS x Yosemite, which by the way after install the problems start.

4 months have been trying to solve the problem so if anyone can help please let me know.

Have reinstalled Yosemite etc no external screens connected and downloaded just the SD version on the movies, all which perviously worked just fine.

Same problem on the Mac Book Pro, yet works fine on apple tv and iphones and ipad.

Thoughts are welcomed.

Jul 1, 2015 2:00 PM in response to Ny8166

Check out this: If your third-party display or projector doesn't work in OS X - Apple Support

You get an alert in iTunes: "The selected Movie won't play on your display - this movie can be played only on displays that support HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection)"

See specifically the Learn More:

Some third-party products that may have this issue include: AirDisplay, Splashtop, DisplayLink, DisplayPad, AirParrot, and iScreen.

If you have these try uninstalling then restarting and playing it again. Let me know if it works!

This movie can be played only on displays that support HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.