Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dreaded Question Mark... But with a Catch!

The other night my mid 2009 MBP froze. I got the pinwheel and it was unresponsive. I gave it 10 minutes to come to, but it never did. I held the power button to turn it off, and then turned it back on. After a couple of minutes of blank white screen, I got the blinking question mark/folder. After searching the forums, I tried everything. CMD+R, the option key, etc. Nothing worked. The biiiig problem was that my last TM backup was corrupted, and I couldn't be bothered to spend the time doing a fresh backup. Well I pulled my HD, put it in an external enclosure and booted from it. Guess what? It worked perfectly. I was able to do a fresh TM backup, and used the computer this way to surf the internet today. I thought maybe it was some kind of fluke and put the HD back in my MBP. I checked the sata cable where it meets the motherboard, and it was fine. I booted it up, and I'm back to the question mark. Why would my HD work as an external, but not as an internal?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 19, 2014 7:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2014 8:13 PM

The SATA cable is bad. That's a common problem, especially with the 2009's. It seems to me you've asked this before. You need to replace the cable. The problem isn't visual, you can't see it.

5 replies

Apr 19, 2014 8:18 PM in response to Kris_R35

Kris,

Sorry. Someone else asked this question with almost exactly the same wording, including the "with a catch." Shop around a little, you should be able to find it for less than $60.

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Hard-Drive-Cable-w--IR-Sensor-for-MacBook-Pro-13-U nibody-p-17336.html

Make sure this is right for your machine. I just looked for a 13" mid-2009.

Dreaded Question Mark... But with a Catch!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.