Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A simple iTunes question.

Do you prefer to organize your music files by yourself or let iTunes do it for you? Which is more easier when backing up those files?

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 19, 2014 7:24 PM

9 replies

Apr 23, 2014 12:31 AM in response to sberman

sberman wrote:

I agree with Michael. Further, it really should not matter how the HDD files are organized especially if you use Time Machine to back up your files.

First of, I don't use Time Machine. I just want to be in control of my files. Some music files does not have a proper metadata which will make the iTunes Library media folder a bit unorganized.

Apr 23, 2014 1:26 PM in response to jkadg

Well, you're entitled to your opinion, and I have expressed mine.

Just remember that Apple will keep its own metafiles about the organization of the iTunes library, and, since they have no reason to expect users to be messing with these things, they may well change from time to time.

So don't be surprised if some time in the future "being in control of your files" causes you to lose some or all of your iTunes library.

As I say, I would never go down that path. But you can if you like.

Good luck.

Apr 23, 2014 8:45 PM in response to jkadg

Obvioulsy you don't have to use Time Machine, but you should be using something to make regular, incremental backups of your personal data. Otherwise you will lose data at some point. It's not a question of if but when.

If some of your music files don't have proper metadata then enter it. Then iTunes will organize everything neatly. But, obviously you don't have to do that. If you want to "be in control" of your music files you are free to fiddle to your heart's content.

A simple iTunes question.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.