You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I turn off the speaker on my ipod 5?

When I play music, the sound comes through the external speaker, but I don't know how to switch that off and make it just come through the earbuds. Can someone help me? We powered the ipod off and back on and this solved the problem.

Posted on Apr 19, 2014 9:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2014 9:20 PM

Hey Coney, It should switch off when you plug the headphones in. There is a switch inside the port which opens when the headphone jack is plugged in, switching off the speaker. Are you sure you're headphones / earbuds are fully plugged in? You should feel a click and maybe hear it also. Check the headphone port for foreign debris, lint, dirt, etc., if you see anything carefully remove it. Or if clean, try quickly plugging / unplugging the jack 10 to 12 times to free the switch and/or clear contacts. If this does nothing, try a reset, or last resort, connect to your computer, make backups of all your stuff on the iPod to your computer first, then Restore to New. If problem continues after a Factory restore, you most likely have a hardware issue, contact your Apple store or Apple Genius Bar and have your iPod evaluated. Good luck, Cheers.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 19, 2014 9:20 PM in response to ConeyGang

Hey Coney, It should switch off when you plug the headphones in. There is a switch inside the port which opens when the headphone jack is plugged in, switching off the speaker. Are you sure you're headphones / earbuds are fully plugged in? You should feel a click and maybe hear it also. Check the headphone port for foreign debris, lint, dirt, etc., if you see anything carefully remove it. Or if clean, try quickly plugging / unplugging the jack 10 to 12 times to free the switch and/or clear contacts. If this does nothing, try a reset, or last resort, connect to your computer, make backups of all your stuff on the iPod to your computer first, then Restore to New. If problem continues after a Factory restore, you most likely have a hardware issue, contact your Apple store or Apple Genius Bar and have your iPod evaluated. Good luck, Cheers.

How do I turn off the speaker on my ipod 5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.