Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Audio file does not have sufficient access privileges. An overview can not be saved!"

"Audio file does not have sufficient access privileges. An overview can not be saved!"

I get this message when opening a Project on my external HD. Figured out how to fix it on the internal HD on my iMac. Permissions look good on all the folders/files. For the ones on the HD, the HD name is given read/write access, but not the user (Me) (which is on the files on the internal HD). I tried to add myself as a user the the files/folders on the external HD and it didn't let me.

Any idead? Thanks!

Tom

Logic Pro X, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 19, 2014 11:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2014 3:45 AM

Hi

Select the drive in the Finder, Command I to get info and tick "ignore ownership on this volume".

You may need to unlock first, and enter your admin password.

CCT

21 replies

Apr 20, 2014 7:20 PM in response to CCTM

Hi, thanks for the swift response.

I can't seem to find the "ignore ownership..." option in Get Info for the HD (or for the HD volume). When I Get Info on the HD itself, I get a very small Info window with almost no info. When I try a Get info on the volumes inside the HD, no window is displayed. Files and folders inside the HD show permissions info but no "ignore ownership..." option.

More data points:

I'm running 10.9.2 on a brand new iMac with Logic Pro X.

I have the same issue when using my older MacBook Pro (10.5.8) and Logic Pro 9 with the external HD (Doesn't give me the actual message, but the overview doesn't get saved, and when the project is opened next time Logic Pro 9 creates a new overview every time.

The HD is a LaCie CloudBox media server connected to my modem. Computers are connected wirelessly to the network. I have no trouble saving any kinds of files to this HD from either machine.

Thanks again ! Let me know what you think!

Cheers.!

Tom

Apr 21, 2014 2:50 AM in response to thosalbert500

Hi

thosalbert500 wrote:

The HD is a LaCie CloudBox media server connected to my modem. Computers are connected wirelessly to the network.

This may well explain it: generally Logic does not play well with network drives. Connecting to it via wifi is not such a great idea when it comes to recording/playing back audio either.

I'd suggest that you do not use this drive as 'general work - in - progress storage': backups only. Get another drive and attach it locally: direct to the Mac.

CCT

Apr 21, 2014 2:23 PM in response to thosalbert500

Hi Tom,

and do my Logic Pro work on the internal HD on my iMac

Sorry to say.... but,

That's not recommended either unless you have dual internal HDs (and not partitioned single drive either) in your iMac somehow...

You should always put audio files on a separate HD to your system/Logic Pro HD to get best performance.. A TBolt/FW800 (using a Tbolt to FW adaptor) or at the very least (as an absolutely last option) USB3, 7200rpm min HD... or good quality SSD will work just fine...

Cheers..

Nigel

Apr 21, 2014 2:38 PM in response to thosalbert500

A couple other questions come up too:

Is this true for all/most DAW's (not good to work on projects on internal HD), or just Logic Pro X?

Also, is there any risk to using the internal HD? Is it just that it doesn't perform as well/fast, or does it mess things up or lose things, or get weird? Or just bog down in heavier use (many tracks / loops/ midi, etc...)

Thanks again

Tom

Apr 21, 2014 2:41 PM in response to thosalbert500

A system drive has a lot to do and so using it to also store audio files on it, slows down performance to some degree. The internal fusion drive actually makes things worse and slows down your system because it is designed to handle and therefore speed up access to cached files that are used often (such as OS X system files) and not an ever changing list of files such as audio files used by different projects, if that makes sense?

The specs for an external drive are as i gave earlier....

A TBolt/FW800 (using a Tbolt to FW adaptor) or at the very least (as an absolutely last option) USB3, 7200rpm min HD... or good quality SSD will work just fine...

I personally use a combination of high quality Glyph FW800 HDs connected via a Tbolt to FW adaptor and WD VelociRaptor Duo 10K Raid 0 Thunderbolt connected 2TB HDs... The Velos I use mainly for streaming samples from Kontakt Libraries... as they are faster than most SSDs for about the same or less price per GB these days ($450 on Amazon) and the Glyphs I use for storing and streaming projects and audio files.... and simple basic WD or Seagate Domestic quality 2TB HDs for backups and long term storage of older projects...

Hope this helps...

Apr 21, 2014 3:10 PM in response to thosalbert500

thosalbert500 wrote:

A couple other questions come up too:

Is this true for all/most DAW's (not good to work on projects on internal HD), or just Logic Pro X?

Also, is there any risk to using the internal HD? Is it just that it doesn't perform as well/fast, or does it mess things up or lose things, or get weird? Or just bog down in heavier use (many tracks / loops/ midi, etc...)

Thanks again

Tom

Yes, true for all DAW's.

There is no risk in using the internal HD except if you're recording audio you will be filling it up with large files which will end up eventually slowing down system access and making backup tedious. Recent Mac operating systems access the drive almost continuously, I put a drive access led on a customer's Mac Pro a year ago and we were stunned at the level of drive use, but that's the way it is these days.

If I'm using a two drive system I partition the System drive into System & Samples/Loops, the second drive is audio only. A three (or more) drive system is optimal with Sample Libraries and Loops on one drive and Audio recording on another... both separate from the System drive. Right now I'm using a two drive system and have my Apple Loops and Sample Libraries (EWQL, Older Kontakt Library and SampleTank) on a partition of my system drive. I keep the System partition as trim as possible and duplicate it every couple of weeks, only takes a few minutes, I can restore my system to any drive in the future. It's best to have a plan for running a DAW as things can get messy in no time at all.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.