Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If a sim hasn't been activated/provisioned has the handset been locked yet?

I have an iPhone 3GS, originally bought direct from Apple, which was not locked to any particular carrier, for development/testing purposes.

To get the phone to work at all, it required a SIM, so I acquired a pay-as-you-go one from O2 which was then inserted into the phone. This SIM was never activated with the carrier, there is 'no service' and gives the message 'not provisioned' when you look in the settings. It does show a phone number though, and the 'Phone' section under settings has an O2 section. None of the options under this section work however.

I'd now like to use this phone as a phone but use Three instead of O2. So my question is - do I still need to unlock the handset with O2? A bit of research shows that an unactivated SIM hasn't been registered with Apple's servers yet, but a new SIM from Three isn't recognised when I insert it.

Any help appreciated.

iPhone 3GS, iOS 6.1.6

Posted on Apr 20, 2014 1:49 AM

7 replies

Apr 23, 2014 4:09 AM in response to KiltedTim

Thanks for your help so far KiltedTim.

I've tried to set up a My3 account to register the SIM but the website isn't accepting the SIMs details. About to go over to a physical 3 store to query this, but in meantime I have restored the iPhone to it's factory defaults and when inserting the SIM I get the following message in iTunes and on the setup screen of the phone:

"The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned to the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by the carrier..."

That sounds pretty much like it's locked to O2 and I'll need to contact them. Would you agree? This seems to be at odds with your previous comment about unlocked handsets from Apple being permanently unlocked. I definitely definitely bought it new from Apple prior to putting the O2 pay-as-you-go SIM in.

Any thoughts appreciated.

If a sim hasn't been activated/provisioned has the handset been locked yet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.