Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

accidentally and stupidly dropped phone in sink while it was running. Phone works, but blue stuff on bottom of screen. Left in bag of rice for 12 hours, no change. Should I leave in longer or try something else?

Yesterday evening I accidentally dropped my iphone 5s in the sink while it was running. I immediately removed it and it started acting funny (sreen would turn on and off on it's own). It stopped doing that and was working fine. However, shortly after when I had time to really look at it, I noticed blue-ish stuff on the bottom of the screen. I turned it off and put it in a ziploc bag with rice for over 12 hours. Turned it back on today and the blue stuff is still there. Anything I can do? Should I put it in rice for longer? My concern (aside from the blue stuff driving me insane) is that the phone may suddenly die on me at any moment if there's still water in it and it's only a matter of time. Will an apple store do anything? I can't replace the phone. I haven't had it for very long, but it is definately out of warranty period (not that apple covers water damage anyway). Any help is much appreciated!

iPhone 5s

Posted on Apr 20, 2014 8:42 AM

3 replies

Apr 20, 2014 9:24 AM in response to rachel24to

rachel24to wrote:

I turned it off and put it in a ziploc bag with rice for over 12 hours.

Now before you do anything else, put it back in the bag and leave ot there for another week.

Turned it back on today

Oh, too late...

Try it anyway.

I haven't had it for very long, but it is definately out of warranty period (not that apple covers water damage anyway).

Apple warranty is 1 year and iPhone 5S has not been released for 1 year.

However, dropping it in the sink has voided the remainng warranty.

You can get a replacement fro $269 (U.S.) at an Apple store.

Apr 20, 2014 10:38 AM in response to Chris CA

Like I said, the phone still works, I'm simply worried that it will stop working because there's obviously still blue stuff on the screen (probably what the water looks like, therefore the blue stuff is water). I took it out to back up everything as a precautionary measure, but it is back in the bag and I will leave it there. Simply came here looking for other suggestions, if any and to get opinions as to whether this is a ticking time bomb, or if it will continue to work. Aside from the screen looking messed up, the phone seems to function as normal right now. I can make calls, go into apps, etc...

As for the warranty, I should have been more specific. I meant it was out of the 90 day free phone support. Also, I'm in Canada so I can't go to a US Apple store. I also still have at least two years on my cell contract with Rogers.

accidentally and stupidly dropped phone in sink while it was running. Phone works, but blue stuff on bottom of screen. Left in bag of rice for 12 hours, no change. Should I leave in longer or try something else?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.