Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are ios updates expiring older devices?

Basically my wife has an ipad1, updated to the most recent ios 5.1, since updating to this it has been practically unusable, she uses a few apps but the main are Safari and The Sims Game, The Sims works ok but Safari (or a couple of other browsers that i've tested) constantly crash so I would consider internet browsing a pretty usuable experience.

I have an ipad2, which is updated to 7.1, this device has been an absolute gem ever since I bought it towards the end of 2011, it now had ios 7.1 installed and I am starting to get similar issues, most things works fine, however now whenever trying to play games like Clash Of Clans, it is not really working any longer, the game crashes during the loading process.

Apart from this my ipad2 still works pretty well so I know in this case it could well be (and probably is) a problem with the latest version of COC not catering for older devices users. However it does feel like this is a trend amongst idevices, where apple expects us all to want to upgrade our hardware annually and no longer looks after those who don't. Am I way of the mark and if so then please tell me how I can make the ipad1 usable once again and how I avoid the same fait for the ipad2 or should I have never purchased an ipad until it offered 1GB of RAM as standard? Please let me know as I'm a big apple fan who is starting to lose faith.

iPad 2, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 20, 2014 11:16 AM

7 replies

Apr 21, 2014 12:41 AM in response to Allan Eckert

I don't expect the ipad1 to be able to run ios7, i just expect it to be able to run safari without crashing every 2 minutes. I would have much preferred it if they would have stopped updating the ipad1 at ios4 if it meant the ipad would perform better but i'm now stuck with an ipad1 that is almost (as I originally stated). You may have the money to constantly upgrade your hardware, but I don't so I expect firmware updates for older devices to actually work and not expire a device.

Apr 21, 2014 4:44 AM in response to bobseufert

Thanks for the highly useful comment but what do you think it might be then and how can I bring it back to life? There is plenty of storage left on the device (approx 10GB) and she only really uses a handful of apps but as I said above, it crashes all the time when using Safari and this really shouldn't happen for the most basic of functions - web browsing.

Apr 21, 2014 11:31 AM in response to Wannabe-IT-Guy

A better choice of words on my part would have been,ipad 1 is fully capable of running of running IOS 5.1.1.. Millions of people have been running it for the last three years. As for the solution start with a reset. Press and hold both the home and power buttons 10-15 seconds till the Apple logo appears. Release both buttons. Wait 15-20 seconds till your iPad starts on it's own. The next step is probably to restore the iPad but that's beyond my capabilities.

Apr 21, 2014 11:43 AM in response to Wannabe-IT-Guy

The pad 1 does not have a whole lot of memory, and sites that have a lot of photos can simply over whelm it. There is also a long standing issue with safari that does not release memory as quickly as you might want. The short story, you can minimize these crashes by closing off old open tabs in safari, and fully closing off app when you are done. And from time to time, reboot.

having Facebook and a handfil of safari tabs open can fill the memory and cause a crash.

The pad 1 - stuck on the old 5.1 may not be able to load updated versions of some apps. If the devel;oper has maintained an older compatible version, it should be offered to you when you try to update. If the developer is not maintain the older app version, you might be stuck.

Apr 21, 2014 1:45 PM in response to Wannabe-IT-Guy

Try this - Reset the iPad by holding down on the Sleep and Home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider - let go of the buttons. (This is equivalent to rebooting your computer.) No data/files will be erased. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1430

iOS 7: Help with how to fix a crashing app on iPhone, iPad (Mini), and iPod Touch

http://teachmeios.com/help-with-how-to-fix-a-crashing-app-on-iphone-ipad-mini-an d-ipod-touch/

Frozen or unresponsive iPad

Resolve these most common issues:

• Display remains black or blank

• Touch screen not responding

• Application unexpectedly closes or freezes

http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/assistant/ipad/

Cheers, Tom
😉

Are ios updates expiring older devices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.