Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Open URL from Open finder dialog?

Hello Everyone,

I am coming from the Windows world and making my transition to Mac. There is a feature in Windows that I use A LOT. I would like to see it on OSx but so far I cound't find anything like it. I am using OSx Mavericks.

Let's see if I can explain this clear enough...

In Windows I can copy an Image URL per example and paste into the Windows Explorer Open dialog box and it will open it on any program thus downloading it to a temporary place. I don't have to acctually download the file first and them open and/or upload anywhere. I can easily just paste the URL with an image, pdf or whatever file and it will open or directly upload anywhere I want.. (Screenshot with image below....)

In the example below. I am uploading a image to my Facebook timeline straight from an URL! On Windows I can use this same feature to open files directly from the internet within any application!

User uploaded file

On the OSX Mavericks the closest thing I could find searching the web is the dialog below.... That DOES NOT work with URLs !!! It only works to open folders!

User uploaded file

Can the Windows feature can acctually be done (replicated) on OSX or can it be implemented??

Thank you very much in advance for any light at the end of the tunnel!

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 20, 2014 12:36 PM

12 replies

Nov 17, 2017 9:29 AM in response to arrrrrrrrrrrrrr

The point is, from the HCI angle it is a single action. When pasting a URL into the upload dialogue, the user almost never cares that the file is downloaded into temporary storage before being uploaded. If you have to do the download explicitly, and then upload the file you downloaded, that's several extra clicks plus the cognitive load of recalling the download/upload location and file name.

Apr 20, 2014 1:05 PM in response to sberman

This is not it! I don't want to save a URL. I want to open a file directly from it on any application or be able to upload a file by putting the file's URL directly instead of having to download and then upload it.

On the screenshot below.. I am upload a photo to my Facebook timeline...

I don't have the photo on my mac. Its on a website... (ex.: http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/scale_small/0/316/520157-apple_logo_dec07.jp g)

I DO NOT want to download it first. I want to be able to put the URL above into the Facebook/Browser/Finder open dialog and it will upload it directly.

User uploaded file

Apr 20, 2014 1:50 PM in response to sberman

I cannot be more clear than I tried with all the screenshots!

I am not trying to open a file on my computer! I want to be able to open a file directly from the web within any application using a URL such as...

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/scale_small/0/316/520157-apple_logo_dec07.jp g

As you can see on my Windows screenshot. I can open the above URL on any application just by pasting it into the open dialog box just as I would put filename instead. But on OSX the Finder Open dialog box does not give me an option to open a file straight giving a full path unless it sits localy on my mac.

Apr 20, 2014 2:14 PM in response to AndreRIO

II think I understand what you want, but you cannot "open" something from the Internet without actually downloading it. Everything must be downloaded, even the text on a web page. All that is doing in Windows is hiding the download.

In general, you can drag a URL to the Dock Icon of any program that can open that file type if it can also handle a URL. Seems that only works if it is displayed, like an image.

Or, you can drag it to the Tab bar in Safari and Safari will download and display it or pass it off to the default application, if is safe, and you have that preference set in Safari's prefrerences (General tab).

Apr 20, 2014 2:15 PM in response to Barney-15E

Hi Barney,

I know that what u said is right. Things need tobe downloaded and I know Windows "hide". When u paste a URL in Windows open dialog box I know that it acctually download it to a temporary location and use it to whatever it needs. I just think it's clever feature to have.

I will try your tips on my mac and see if it is close to what I am looking for.

I notice that you mention Safari. I use Google Chrome. And Chrome I think don't let me do it. I haven't tried with Safari yet.

Thank you.

May 28, 2015 11:21 AM in response to Barney-15E

Barney-15E wrote:

II think I understand what you want, but you cannot "open" something from the Internet without actually downloading it. Everything must be downloaded, even the text on a web page.

What do you think your browser is doing when it displays content to you? It's downloaded on your computer for you to be able to see the images, text, sound, etc, hosted on the server. Windows lets you access the downloaded file in the temporary location. It appears that OSX does not, which is disappointing.

Open URL from Open finder dialog?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.