Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone/ipad/imac erased by hacker using 'find my device' and in process they locked my iMac with pin code! Anyway to get around this?

Last night I suddenly found on my iphone and ipad screens a message from 'find my ipad/iphone' that they were lost and to call my phone number. When I entered my requested Apple ID and password they had been erased. I was able to restore with icloud. However, not realizing what was happening I turned on my iMac. Login screen appeared and before I could do anything the computer rebooted to white screen requesting the 'system pin code' used to erase and lock my imac that I set up through 'find my imac'. And an ugly message left by the hacker. I also found the person had bought a new ipad from the Apple store using my ID. I changed my Apple ID password and removed the credit card tied to my account and cancelled it. How can I solve the Pin code problem? Is my drive in fact erased requiring 3rd party software to recover my data? Could I use the recovery partition or a recovery/install thumb drive to try to reset the firmware password? Would target disk mode help me get my data back? Could I use terminal in recovery mode to override or reset the pin code? Would any of these attempts make the problem worse or have me lose my data? Or is it already gone and now I just need to get access? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

iMac mid 2010

OS X Mavericks

Have a recovery/install thumb drive with mavericks and snow leopard install disks that came with the imac

No time machine backup

Manual backup of important files, recent but not as recent as I would like.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), System pin code lock, find my imac,

Posted on Apr 20, 2014 12:43 PM

2 replies

Apr 20, 2014 3:30 PM in response to cmf25

No backup is going to present a problem when you attempt to restore your data. As far as the login PIN I would gather up app my devices and get an appointment with the Genius Desk at the nearest Apple Store. And while you are at it reset your Apple ID password and this time choose a strong password, not one that is easy to reember.

Oct 1, 2015 8:26 AM in response to Joe Bailey

Well, in my case I was extremely stupid! I've updated to iOS 9 and found throught the Locate my iPhone app my old profile on my ex's iMac. I thought i was just deleting the profile but I ERASED her iMac completely. She has no backup whatsoever and she reinstalled OSX 10.9.5, but lost all personal files. Is it possible to retrieve these files?

Iphone/ipad/imac erased by hacker using 'find my device' and in process they locked my iMac with pin code! Anyway to get around this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.