Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 5 KILLS all chargers

I am honestly at my wits end. I can officially say, I will likely never purchase another I-device again, which is a shame because it used to be so reliable.

I excited purchased and Iphone 5 in October 2012. I was happy, new technology it would be a great thing (I was actually upgrading from a 3). I noticed in the beginning that my phone NEVER held a charge. It died SO fast, but I thought it just came with the new technology. In the span of 10 months I went through THREE charger cables which I thought was a bit weird, but then again I was ALWAYS charging it because it was ALWAYS dying so maybe that was the issue. Until of course, August rolled around and out of the blue my phone stopped charging all together.

Took it into the apple store. They did a diagnostic on it. Turns out there was something wrong with the charging port the entire time (likely why it didn't hold a charge ever and what killed all of those cords). Apple graciously replaced it for free, however I was never refunded ANYTHING for the cords that I spent money on that year. Fast forward 2 days later. Already issues with the new phone. Edge of the screen has a vibration, it randomly freezes and the screen goes entirely white and shuts down. Have to restart. It happens a few times, I take it in they assure me its fine.

Fast forward 2 months, October. Now the phone is doing it every 5 mins, screen is always fading. Take it in. Finally, sorry guess what there has actually been a problem with a part of this phone that connects to the screen the entire time. Our bad! Here's another free phone.

Now I know what you are all thinking. Great they have replaced a purchase twice! That's amazing, and I agree. Except for the fact when you pay hundreds of dollars for a piece of technology and its accesories you shouldn't REALLY have to have so many issues that it is replaced TWICE in the span of a year.

Fine, new phone ago. Wahoo! No screen shaking problems. No battery draining problems. What in the world could go wrong now.

The attached picture will help. Since October I have gone through THREE Iphone chargers from apple and FIVE more knock offs (I mean at like 40 dollars a pop who can afford to keep buying the real thing). I've tried buying the lightning cord... it dies after max a month. Ive tried buying the old cord with the adaptor it dies after a month. I try knockoffs... same thing.

Like really? I have spent literally well over 150 dollars in chargers in a year and half?!?!? Could you imagine if I hadn't of bought the knockoffs. Apple this time takes no time to tell me that it's wear and tear of the chargers. Oh I am sorry I guess the charger remaining idle at home is TOO much for it.

Has anyone else had this problem? I've seen related topics when I searched google. I just can't for the life of me wrap my mind around it. I also can't afford to continue paying for accesories to a phone that seemingly is just fritzing all the time. I have stood up and by apple for a while, while every moves onto other phones with less issues and it's unfortunate to say I think I've come to the end of the road. User uploaded file

iPhone 5

Posted on Apr 20, 2014 1:52 PM

5 replies

May 5, 2015 2:04 PM in response to tonefox

I have an iPhone 5. Bought it new. Charge time is the WORST of ANY smartphone I've EVER owned and, if I want to actually USE my phone, I HAVE to have it on a charger about every TWO HOURS. I had it replace TWICE! NO DIFFERENCE.

THEN, on top of that, I've NEVER had a charger cord last longer than about TWO MONTHS!!! I got tired of throwing my money away on the expensive Apple charger cords, after purchasing FOUR IN LESS THAN NINE MONTHS. I began buying the 'generic' cords at Walmart. This 'saved' me $10 a pop but, at more than $20, with tax, it was STILL TOO MUCH and they ALSO lasted about 2 months each. Then little 'store' at my local Walmart's Murphy Gas Station began selling really short cords for FIVE BUCKS!!! I WAS SOLD!!! They still only last about 2 months but $5 is a WHOLE LOT BETTER than $20-$30!! I'm waiting to see how the iPhone 6 does with cords and charge time. I MAY wait until the iPhone 7 comes out!!

Iphone 5 KILLS all chargers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.