Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

startup of iMac slow, graphics slow, problem is intermittent

when I start my iMac, it sometimes just ends up in gray screen

other times it starts but process is very slow, once up, everything graphic runs very slow

when I click on the notifications sections, it has many multiple red flickers and is VERY slow

it then is often unable to shut down or switch to other user account

the sound up down volume does not work

made appointment with genius bar, he suggested I run startup diagnostics of hardware

did that, all showed perfect

HOWEVER, all of this went away and everything was fine. then would return, then go away. cannot seem to trace to any application or use. or to if room hot or cold or running too long (perhaps actual chip bad solder/seat on board?)

iMac 2.7GHz Core i5 21.5 screen 10.8.5

suggestion on next step to solve/fix this?

thank you

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), refurbish iMac

Posted on Apr 20, 2014 6:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2014 5:34 AM

Make sure there's enough free disk space ...

Click your Apple menu  top left in your screen. From the drop down menu click About This Mac > More Info > Storage

Make sure there's at least 15% free disk space.

2 replies

Apr 21, 2014 4:37 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thank you. I marked this helpful as I did not know of this feature to view usage. However, that is not the problem, have 880GB out of 999GB.

Later after posting this, was able to get through to Apple Chat Support. So far response they gave appears to be working. However, this problem came and went every few days to weeks, so I'll give it a month before declare fixed. Will summarize solution they gave.

startup of iMac slow, graphics slow, problem is intermittent

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.