Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail service won't start after Volume rename

Really need help, please! I cannot get my Mail service running in OS X Server. It's my business mail.

I thought to be clever and renamed a volume "Macintosh HD 2" to "Macintosh HD2". Noticed problems with my websites and also mail. So I renamed it back to "Macintosh HD 2". In Finder it shows that name, but when I do a "Get Info" it shows "Macintosh HD 2 1". And in Terminal I have seem to have two volumes:

User uploaded file

I tried changing ownership of "Macintosh HD 2 1"m but that does not help. And somehow this is where my mail resides. In OS X Server it does show all the storage.

User uploaded file

It keeps hanging on

User uploaded file

How can I fix this? Could someone please help me out?

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Apr 20, 2014 7:31 PM

9 replies

Apr 20, 2014 8:24 PM in response to Tanyamiaaaauw

Restarting the Server has defaulted to my Macintosh HD. But when I want to change it back to something else, it says it copies stuff. I tried to change it to another volume and then copied the Mail folder from my Macintosh HD 2 into it. But this did not help either. Did not get my mail back in Mail.app. 😟😟 So all the stuff is still there, but how do I get it back in the Mail service of Server?

Apr 21, 2014 3:05 AM in response to Tanyamiaaaauw

Hi,

Well that just put in a world of hurt right there. Changing the hard drive name defaulted all the service settings to one other volume which does not contain the correct mailfolders or servicedata.

Verify in the terminal the service settings for mail:

sudo serveradmin settings mail

That should give a list containing this folderlocation:

mail:global:service_data_path = "/Library/Server/Mail"

You can stop mail, transfer all the mail to the new location or reassign all servicedata to another location inside the server.app but that might delete settings or data, so...

First create a backup or clone so you can revert, you're getting lost in various settings for the hard drive so create a backup now and then concentrate on getting mail back on track by securing the data on a backup and then use the server.app to change the servicedata location.

Goodluck

Jeffrey

StarPine Support

Apr 21, 2014 4:09 AM in response to jepping

Hi Jeffrey,

thanks for your reply. Just at the moment I fixed the problem, I saw your message coming in. Those 'sudo serveradmin' commands are very useful. Just don't know too many of them, but I checked this one. And it now all points correctly. It has one line where it points to the volume, and that's ok also. Here is my solution I found and adapted a little bit:

First of all .. I truelly can't say it loud enough how much I am relieved to see it all working again. And have all my mail (plus all flags and such) back! Ok, here is the solution: I found the following thread which had the same kind of problem: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4991270

In my case my volume didn't come offline due to a network issue or such. But changing the volume name actually did the same 'trick'. So I gathered I could use the same approach here as it was in the referred thread above. Two issues came together here:

(1) Somehow, due to the volume renaming, OS X Server and Mavericks, got confused. And I ended up with a physical volume "Macintosh HD 2", but having two mounting points. If I looked in Disk Utiliy it showed that my physical volume "Macintosh HD 2" had a mounting point "Macintosh HD 2 1". But when looking in "/Volumes" (CMDshift-G->"/Volumes"), I could see an erroneous volume "Macintosh HD 2" which was in fact a folder. A so-called ghost volume. In this way Mavericks had 'mounted' a ghost volume with the original name, and when mounting the original volume it added a number to it. Big ****.

(2) To make the chaos complete, OS X Server, upon restarting, referred back to it's default. Which is on "Macintosh HD". Going back simply says that it already has data on that, and wants to destroy that. No good.

Finding the above mentioned case/thread and looking at the reasoning behind it, it all followed logic. I won't repeat the whole solution from that thread. Just my specific actions. So yes, I first created backups of my original "/Library/Server" directory+files. Via Terminal with a 'cp -pR' and onto another disk. I also looked at the different security settings of the original volume and the ghost volume. I needed to re-establish the normal ownership on "/Library", via a 'sudo chown _dovecot:admin'. I then followed directions of the mentioned thread/solution. My adaptions in those were that I did not delete the ghost volume, nor did I do a deletion of the temporary "Library/Server" in the latter part of the solution. I simply renamed some things. So here is what I did:

- 1. In Finder I renamed the ghost volume "Macintosh HD 2" -> "Macintosh HD 2ghost". By checking this in Terminal at "/Volumes", that one did show up correctly. So that's the first step.

- 2. In Disk Utility I dismounted the original "Macintosh HD 2" and remounted it. After that, the mounting point showed up normal again, being just the volume name itself. Without the added number. Checking again in Terminal at "/Volume" also turned out ok. So good on track here.

- 3. On the (now correctly mounted) original volume I renamed the "/Library/Server" -> "/Library/Server_old".

- 4. In Server.app I then changed (via 'Edit Services Data location') to the original volume again. This lead to a "/Library/Server" on "Macintosh HD 2". So far so good.

- 5. In Server.app I chose to stop the Mail service. Just to be sure.

- 6. Then (in Finder) on "Macintosh HD 2" I renamed the newly created "Library/Server" to "/Library/Server_new". And after that renamed "/Library/Server_old" -> "/Library/Server"

Immediately after this, to my surprise and BIG relieve, I received an email message on one of the 'lost' accounts. I did see however that Profile Manager in OS X Server stopped. So to be sure I stopped/started Mail service. And also Profile Manager. They all came up perfectly!

Lessons learned (and a narrow escape from heartfailure...). NEVER, EVER CHANGE THE VOLUME NAME WHERE OS X SERVER HAS IT'S DATA STORED. And if so, then immediately backup the whole "/Library/Server" stuff and follow directions above.

Pfff, couldn't be a happier girl right now. Finally adding some sleep here.

Apr 21, 2014 4:41 AM in response to Tanyamiaaaauw

Haha yeah I guess so. Afterwards I always promise myself to never ever do those 'little, quick' changes anymore. It could easily wind up in disaster... And certainly costs a lot of sleep.

Oh yeah, before I forget. If you also use websites to store on that volume too, then you NEED to 'change' that also. Although OS X Server only shows the name of the final directory and not it's complete path, it still is somehow internally compromised. So how weird it may seem: in OS X Server go to "Websites" and for each website modify the "Store Site Files In" to 'Other..' and then point to the correct location again. After that it's all working again.

Mail service won't start after Volume rename

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.