Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reset network settings

Hi there,

I have so many problems with my iMac getting disconnected from the internet where I just need to off/on the wifi and it reconnects fine. I know it's only my iMac because when I get disconnected from the internet my iPhone and other devices are just fine. Also, when it's getting disconnected the small radar icon and everything else appears normal, it's just that I can't surf or whatever I need to do. Is there something like Reset Network Settings from iPhone that I can do on my Mac? Thanks,

rc

Posted on Apr 20, 2014 11:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2014 11:22 PM

Might be corrupted network preferences ...

Open the Finder. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

Click Go then move all the files in the SystemConfiguration folder to the Trash.

See if that makes a difference.

Your Mac will generate a new SystemConfiguration folder for you.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2014 11:22 PM in response to rick722

Might be corrupted network preferences ...

Open the Finder. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

Click Go then move all the files in the SystemConfiguration folder to the Trash.

See if that makes a difference.

Your Mac will generate a new SystemConfiguration folder for you.

Jun 12, 2014 7:04 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Can I get some additional help here? Seems my problem has come back. Here's a bit more about my setup:

1. I do SuperDuper clones every night over wifi

2. I leave iTunes running all the time for home sharing

3. All my routers are Apple

I just experienced this morning when I woke up my overnight cloning failed and when I looked I have lost connection. So I turned wifi off/on and back to normal. After 30 minutes I lost connection again and had to off/on wifi again. And I know I did not really lose internet connection because at the same time I was streaming a video on my laptop which did not lost connection. There are also times I am using Home Sharing on my Apple tv and it will stop playing all of a sudden and I must also turn wifi off/on on my iMac to fix the issue. Anything else I can do to resolve this issue?

Side note - when I "lose" connection everything appears to be normal meaning the radar icon is black, etc., but I can tell because my Dropbox icon loses the little green checkmark and if I go to Safari I can't load any webpages. That's when I have to do the wifi off/on thing. Really can't figure this out... :-(

rc

reset network settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.