Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

For Ralph Johns.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5224

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), Netgear N900

Posted on Apr 21, 2014 8:38 AM

3 replies

Apr 21, 2014 1:39 PM in response to Defcom-UK

Hi Defcom(UK),

Thanks for that.

I see it is dated yesterday.

I am aware that iCloud linked IDs (@me.com and @icloud.com) will not work as AIM Screen Names in iChat 5 or Earlier dues to the needs for the checks iChat 6 and the later Messages version make to Apple before AIM (AOL) can "read" the password.

However until this Document @mac.com IDs could be used in earlier versions of iChat as those don't make the additional check.

That would imply that only @mac.com names are really effected as MobileMe issued @me.com IDs either were "converted" to iCloud ones (and later still given iCloud.com IDs as well) or they became inaccessible after the 30th June 2012. (i.e. MobileMe issued @me.com ID already don't work anywhere).

EDIT: I never had a paid for @me.com ID from MobileMe so I don't know if they do actually work as an AIM name if they are Lapsed and not "converted to iCloud.

The Last section also has poor info.

It lists this iChat 6 Document that does not give you the info you need.

Once you have two Buddy List logged in to AIM then you can Select All then drag the whole List from one Buddy List to another.

You will manually have to copy across the Blocked List for AIM in App Menu > Preferences > Accounts > Aim Account > Security tab > Block list.

Same for an Allow Specific People list.

NOTES.

The only thing I can see is that the Info is about @mac.com IDs joining the @me.com and @icloud.com ones in not working in iChat 5 and earlier on the whole and the first version of iChat 6.

BUT...

The whole point of the bottom section is to change to Mavericks and ignoring the fact the top section implies the IDs will work in Later Lion/iChat 6 and upwards.

One other thing that might be related is the issue some @mac.com users had about a year ago when they travelled abroad and then found they could not access AIM when they got home. They had been suspended for "Unusual use", even if they travelled regularly.

User uploaded file

9:39 pm Monday; April 21, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Apr 26, 2014 2:19 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

More.

The AOLSystemMsg (Buddy Name AIM uses) will send this:-

User uploaded file

(I have older Messages from AIM under AIMSysMessage as the Buddy)

As the message appears in Messages 8 in Mavericks it suggests that AOL/AIM are no longer going to support @mac.com or @me.com names in any version of iChat or Messages.

This does seems at odds with the first line of the Article:-

Symptoms

To ensure a secure and reliable experience, customers using a mac.com or me.com ID to login to the AIM service via iChat must upgrade their Mac to OS X version 10.7.2 or later by June 30, 2014 to continue using the AIM service.

At present I would suggest gaining an AIM Screen Name if you intend or cannot Upgrade and will remain at iChat 5 or lower.

Create a second Buddy list.

Highlight all the Buddies (Show Off Line ones) in the Old list and then drag to the new list.

I have managed 264 in the past with this.

User uploaded file

10:19 pm Saturday; April 26, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

For Ralph Johns.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.