Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music copied from my old computer appears in iTunes media folder, but not in iTunes when I open it.

I've tried copying the old library files but all I get is lots of library files - iTunes still won't 'see' the media. I've purchased a few things and downloaded some things from the cloud since I bought my new mac but not had the time to do the big copy across til now. Obviously my old library has loads of imported CDs etc and music I've made too. Any ideas? I kinda thought this would be a bit easier than its proving to be...

Posted on Apr 21, 2014 9:44 AM

4 replies

Apr 21, 2014 10:00 AM in response to jazzgnome

Quick answer if you use iTunes' default preferences settings: Copy the entire iTunes folder (and in doing so all its subfolders and files) intact to the other drive. Open iTunes and immediately hold down the Option (alt) key (shift on Windows) so you get a prompt to select a library, then guide it to the 'iTunes Library.itl' file in the moved iTunes folder.

If you put the copied iTunes folder in the default location of Macintosh HD > Users > *User Name* > Music then you don't even need to start with the option key held down, iTunes will automatically look for it there. Make sure there isn't anything already in the iTunes folder there that you want to keep since you will be replacing it with the one you are moving. In your case it sounds like you probably do have things you want to keep, so make sure you add those to the iTunes window or to the Automatically Add To iTunes folder of the moved main library (not by simply copying to the media folder which iTunes will ignore - it does not inventory things put there via Finder).

Apr 21, 2014 10:48 AM in response to Limnos

Hi Limnos

many thanks for the reply - I used the option select function and now I can see my old library from my old computer - cheers.

One last question though, is there a way to merge library files? Because now I can't see what I had on there before. Everything I had was purchased so no massive panic - I could download it again from the cloud, but then I'd have loads of copies of the same albums.... Can I use the create new library function when I open iTunes with the option key depressed? Basically I don't care at all about playlists, and everything I need/want is currently in my iTunes media folder in the finder. Is it possible to just wipe all info and create a new lobrary that accesses whats in my media folder?

Apr 21, 2014 11:02 AM in response to jazzgnome

Yes, you can create a new library with the option key. iTunes does not "look" inside any folder with the possible exception of "automatically add to iTunes". You have to actively add to iTunes to get it to recognize something is in your media folder. It then makes note of its existence in a special library.itl file and it is only with reference to this file that iTunes knows what you have in your library. If I give you a list of what is in your kitchen and you only ever look at that list then you won't know if I put another jar of peanutbutter on the shelf unless I tell you and you modify your list. That's how iTunes keeps track of things.

So yes, you can drag everything from one media folder to a new library and it will place new copies of the media added in that library's media folder (or drag to the Automatically Add To iTunes folder for that library and it will move those files while adding them). You can then drag media (all or some) from the second library to the new one you are creating. If you have a second copy of some of the same files it will add them too (so you will see duplicates) unless you omit them while adding the.

The bottom line is, there isn't any free solution to avoiding getting duplicates unless you don't have any in the first place (your second library is truly only new stuff not in the first one), or you are careful not to add them by being selective in what you add from the second library. There are various commercial ulitities that do various things, but I don't know how good any of them are.

Creating a new library will also reset date added and ratings.

Music copied from my old computer appears in iTunes media folder, but not in iTunes when I open it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.