Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to know what to delete ??

SO I need to clear some space in my mac, a lot of room is being taken up by "Other." I have DiskUtility X, I was just wondering what files are safe to delete and what are not, aside from Apps, pictures and such. I mean like the complicated sounding things (For example, i have .sidd and) . Sorry if I'm explaining this poorly; there's a lot of folders that don't really have good names (ie; they were pre-programmed into the mac.) I guess what I'm asking is; what are ALL the types of files okay to delete? I don't want to delete something and then find out I actually needed it for the computer to operate.

Specifics (file types, .___) would be nice!

Thank you!

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Apr 21, 2014 11:41 AM

3 replies

Apr 21, 2014 12:12 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thanks, I figured that- but how do I know what the "other' files are ?

Right now, I have 27.49 GB free out of 120.47 GB. The "other" is taking up 79.02 GB-that's a lot! I use DiskUtility, but that doesn't really tell me what is just in the "other".-I want to know , is there a program that tells me specifically what's in ONLY the "other?"

How to know what to delete ??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.