Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X server and Ubuntu 14

I have used Windows XP software for the networking about 6 computers which include both an OS X Mavericks machine and an Ubuntu 12.04 machine. This has worked OK for years but offers little securtity and XP is disappearing and so I decided to get a Mac Mini and OS X server and use the mini as the file server. All was fine on the Windows machines and the OS X one but the Ubuntu machine sees the Mini server but gets an error "Can't retrieve ----" when one tries to open the shared files.

I really am very keen to make this network setup work rather than having to use Ubuntu as a server. The OS X server software is really nice and easy to use.

Any suggestions, I have searched and it seems to have been a common problem but I can't find a simple solution.

Jeremy

MacBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 21, 2014 12:07 PM

2 replies

Apr 24, 2014 7:11 PM in response to JeremyJF

I'm assuming you aren't worried about permissions or ACL's....

The easiest way is probably going to be to export the share via NFS on the mavericks server to the IP address or subnet of the client machines. Basically you create the /etc/exports file and put something like this in that file:

/PATH_TO_SHARE -mappall=root:staff(Very liberal permissions here) IPADDRESS_OF_CLIENT

Exit the file and update nfsd with the following command:

sudo nfsd update

Start NFS with the following command (it may be running already)

sudo nfsd start

Verify the shore is being exported

showmount -e

It should return something like

/SHARE IPADDRESS_OF_CLIENT

On the client machine you should be able to follow this tutorial to get the share mounted:

http://blog.bravi.org/?p=691

As always ymmv 🙂

OS X server and Ubuntu 14

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.