Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No DHCP for Ethernet with Airport Extreme?

Since the latest OS X Server upgrade on my server, my portable's Ethernet connection no longer gets DHCP information. Strangely it still works on my Wifi connection.

My Airport Extreme does NAT and DHCP (and PPPoE).

OS X server does DNS for internal hosts, and forwards for external hosts.

Until Lion Server and OS X Server 1, both Wifi and Ethernet ports got IP information from DHCP in my Airport Extreme.

But now only Wifi gets DHCP from Airport Extreme. Ethernet says 'Either the cable... or the other end is not responding'.

Logs say "[en5]: Link down (womp disabled, proxy zeroed).

Anyone a clue?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 21, 2014 12:39 PM

1 reply

Apr 22, 2014 7:12 AM in response to d.vaneynde

Consider installing a server-grade firewall (commercial or open source), move the DHCP server over to the OS X Server, and reconfigure the AirPort Extreme over into an Access Point; into what Apple refers to as bridging.

An altenative is to start up DHCP servers on both the AirPort and OS X Server, after ensuring that the two DHCP servers and any static addresses are all in the same subnet, and all are coordinated to prevent address collisions. That is, two seperate and non-overlapping IP address pools for the two DHCP servers, and separate and non-overlapping range(s) of IP addresses for any static-addressed hosts such as OS X Server and (since it's also the local network gateway) for the AirPort device, as well as for any network printers, network-attached storage, or other such static-addressed devices.

Both DHCP servers will want to provide the OS X Server IP address as the DNS server address.

Based on what you've posted, the AirPort isn't responding to DHCP requests on its Ethernet ports, which implies a change to the AirPort firmware, or a configuration change on the device. You could try falling back to an older firmware version, or check the configuration. (I very seldom use AirPort or Time Capsule for DHCP, so I haven't noticed any changes here.)

No DHCP for Ethernet with Airport Extreme?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.