Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i recover old voicemails after upgrading phones?

I just upgraded phones from a iphone 4 to an iphone 5s. I have a number of voicemails on the old phone from 2-3 years ago and would like to transfer them to the new phone. Why doesn't itunes do this and is there any way to make this happen so they show up natively in the visual voicemail system, not in some app from the app store?

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 21, 2014 8:41 PM

12 replies

Sep 29, 2017 7:22 AM in response to monicaw84

You cannot locate individual information in a backup. That is not possible. If the backups were made in iTunes or iCloud, your voicemail should be there, if you are using Visual Voicemail (VVM). If you restored the new phone from the backup of the old one, they should have come over. If you still have the old device, make sure the VVM is on the old phone, then create another backup and try the restore again.

Aug 28, 2017 11:20 AM in response to lburkes88

Voicemail does come from a server, but it is your carrier. And, depending on the carrier, it will only exist there for a period of about 30 days, unless you change that. Many carrier allow you to save a certain number of voicemails for an extended period of time, but that requires you to log into your voicemail and setting it. You will need to check with your carrier. Once a Visual Voicemail is downloaded to the iPhone, it only exists there, but it should also exist in your backup. You can also try and restore the device to a backup that was made when the voicemail was on the phone.

Aug 28, 2017 9:12 PM in response to lburkes88

Well, that is a carrier function. Thing is, if you used cellular devices in the past, and I'm not judging you just providing a background, your regular voicemail when you called into it would prompt you about saving voicemail, since it was only saved on the server for 30 days. You had an option to save it for an additional 30 days if you wanted, but it was never archived forever. After just losing my mother, I can understand your issue, but that is how it is. Otherwise, the carriers couldn't support saving all that voicemail. As it is, too many people don't delete their voicemail, and when you go to leave them a message, you get a recording that the mailbox is full.

Sep 29, 2017 12:49 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

I am having an issue with this too. I just did a back up for the info on my iphone 7 via itunes since I am upgrading to an 8; I was going through my new phone to make sure all my contacts, emails, apps etc. had transferred over okay and in the process noticed all of my voicemails were missing. I JUST did this backup, where are my voicemails? Any idea where to find them within the backup?

Sep 29, 2017 2:27 PM in response to monicaw84

monicaw84 wrote:

The backup was fine it turned out. The visual voicemails did not transfer over until my new phone had cell service from my carrier.

You did not indicate that your device did not have cell service. Voicemail as I said is a carrier function, and the carrier determines if you have access to voicemail, so the phone needed that cellular connection to finish upgrading to the new phone. What service are you referring to? I'm not sure what you are talking about when you say this:

monicaw84 wrote:

So I wonder if this service has anything at all to do with the actual backup and is only related to disabling your old phone and activating your new phone..

May 3, 2014 11:09 AM in response to razmee209

Yes, i do backup the phone. In this case, i backed up the old iphone 4 and restored the new 5s from the 4 backup and all of my text messages, settings, etc. transferred. The only thing that did not transfer were old voicemail messages. The voicemail settings, greeting, etc transferred but not the actual voicemails that were on the phone. I have contacted ATT and they said that the att voicemail server saves messages for so long if you dont delete them, but will eventually delete them. They also said the oldest ones i have are saved on the phone, not the server. so when i set up voicemail on new phone, only more current messages that were on the server loaded. I really want to save some of these messages and be able to play them back on demand just like always. HELP

Feb 24, 2015 3:28 AM in response to Agustofson

I just helped a friend in the US to transfer from her iPhone 4 to iPhone 6 plus and had the same issue.

We did an iTunes back-up and everything transferred except voicemails. She had 3 years worth of important voicemails that she wanted to keep.

She is with ATT and apparently they only keep voicemail for 2 weeks then it is automatically deleted from their server.

Luckily she had backed up her old phone to iTunes AND that was backed up in Time Machine!

If you backed up your old phone in iTunes you can retrieve the voicemails from there but they are not easy to access - we used 3rd party software to retrieve them as described in this article: http://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/tutorials/how-to-access-voicemail-on-iphone

IMPORTANT - do NOT back-up your new phone in iTunes until you have retrieved your voicemail.

iTunes will overwrite the back up of your old phone with the info. on your new phone - then the voicemails will disappear.

We did this 😟

but because my friend had TIME MACHINE backups, we were able to enter time machine and copy the old iPhone backup into the backup folder on her MacBook:

Library > Application Support> MobileSync> Backup

Then we could install the iExplore software and she now has access to her voicemail again.

::phew!::

How do i recover old voicemails after upgrading phones?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.