Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

film editing software using marionettes/puppetry

Hello 🙂

I know this is a random question and it really doesnt apply to iMovie but I didnt know where to begin! 😟

I want to create a video clip where it includes the sort of animation that was in Peter Gabriel's Bigtime music clip, Gotye's Hearts Amess or even Michael Jackson's Leave Me Alone - where I could take pics of people and cut them up and put them on puppets or marionettes.

All ideas welcomed as I dont know how to begin searching online for this information.

Thankyou 🙂

Peter

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Apr 21, 2014 9:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2014 11:20 PM

reg. Peter Gabriel, that was done as 'stop motion'; you take stills of each 'frame' and glue them together. You can do that basicly in iMovie, there are designated apps such as iStopmotion, with elaborated tools as 'onioning' etc.

or... dig into Blender. This is a highly professional 3D-tool, allowing Hollywood-class animations. It supports so-called 'rigging with inverse kinetics' (yepp, 3D-animation is its own, complicated world, with its own complicated lingo 😁) which would allow to just move the hand of a puppet, and arms and shoulders move automatically, physically correct according to that move! Awesome time-saver... but the interface is a nightmare, I tried several times to get 'in' to the program ... I guess, I'm too old for that stuff. 😝

start with stopmotion ...

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2014 11:20 PM in response to Damien13

reg. Peter Gabriel, that was done as 'stop motion'; you take stills of each 'frame' and glue them together. You can do that basicly in iMovie, there are designated apps such as iStopmotion, with elaborated tools as 'onioning' etc.

or... dig into Blender. This is a highly professional 3D-tool, allowing Hollywood-class animations. It supports so-called 'rigging with inverse kinetics' (yepp, 3D-animation is its own, complicated world, with its own complicated lingo 😁) which would allow to just move the hand of a puppet, and arms and shoulders move automatically, physically correct according to that move! Awesome time-saver... but the interface is a nightmare, I tried several times to get 'in' to the program ... I guess, I'm too old for that stuff. 😝

start with stopmotion ...

film editing software using marionettes/puppetry

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.