Related Article: Install memory in an iMac

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How much ran do I have in my mid 2011 apple Imac? And what is RAM?

How much RAM fo I have in my Mid 2011 Apple IMAC? And what is RAM?

Final Cut Pro 6, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 22, 2014 12:46 AM

1 reply

Apr 22, 2014 1:11 AM in response to Enoch52

RAM stands for Random Access Memory.

RAM comes on modules with many chips on them that store temporary data such as operating systems commands, sorting data, storing temporary data when copying, pasting and moving around data and files in folders or when you manipulate commands and data within a program.

Think of RAM as a computer's short term memory.

When you save a file on your computer that you want to save for a long time, that piece of data gets saved to your computer's hard drive which is the conputer's long term memory or storage.

If you want to see how much RAM is installed in your Mac, To find out info about your system,

Click on the Apple symbol in the upper left of the OS X main menu bar. A drop down menu appears.

Click About this Mac. A smaller popup window appears.

This gives you basic info like what version of OS X your iMac is running, the speed of your iMac's CPU and how much RAM is installed.

Click on the button that says More Info. A larger window appears giving you a complete overview of your iMac's hardware specs. Tell us what all this info is by highlighting all of the data and copying all this data ( which, by the way goes into the Mac's RAM) then paste your info into a reply here (make sure to edit out your Mac's serial number) so we can all see what the specs of your Mac is.

How much ran do I have in my mid 2011 apple Imac? And what is RAM?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.