Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I lost my phone, can I use my computer to retrieve/send texts?

Lost my iPhone this weekend. Is there any computer application that I can get the texts sent to me since I've lost the phone? Also can I use any app on my computer to use for texting while I wait on getting a new phone?

Lost my phone at a festival, wanted to wait a day to see if somebody brings it to an apple store or something, would they be able to identify it as mine and contact me at the store? Can somebody switch the phone to their account if I don't report it lost and if so, can I report it lost and have it deactivated still?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 22, 2014 9:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2014 9:57 AM

If you didnt put a passcode on the phone then yes

Oh and they have access to all the stuff stored on you're phone

11 replies

Apr 22, 2014 9:40 AM in response to Jarryd999

- No, you can't send texts from your phone # except by using your phone.

- There is no app that can read sent texts to your phone. You will need your phone, or another phone with your # on a new SIM card.

- You should use Find My Phone at www.icloud.com to try to find your device. You can send a message to it asking the finder to call you, and deactivate/wipe it remotely. Also call your carrier to cxl the service if you cannot find the phone on line.

Apr 22, 2014 10:01 AM in response to Jarryd999

I used a passcode. So I just want to put myself in the shoes of the person who has it. What do they have to gain from a passcoded iPhone? They aren't able to switch service to their line? Can they make any changes to it while it's off? I guess they can sell it while its off and not let somebody know it's locked but once that person turns it on it'll turn on lost mode. But if I shut off my verizon service then it'll never turn on lost mode will it?

Apr 22, 2014 3:26 PM in response to Anthony Hobbs

I'm not asking about how I can locate it now, I'm wondering what the person who has it can do with it.

Can they restore without the passcode? And they aren't able to switch service to their line? Can they make any changes to it while it's off? I guess they can sell it while its off and not let somebody know it's locked but once that person turns it on it'll turn on lost mode. But if I shut off my verizon service then it'll never turn on lost mode will it?

If I lost my phone, can I use my computer to retrieve/send texts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.