Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Mystery Music

I have an iPhone 5S and MacBook Pro. I have two problems (which I believe are separate?!?).

1) I have songs which are clearly in the Music app on my iPhone which do not appear on the listings for my iPhone when the device is synced to my Mac. In fact, I have never asked for these songs to be transferred from iTunes on the Mac to my iPhone. I was unaware of this until I asked 'Siri' to play all songs (shuffled) and some of them came up. With the iPhone plugged in via USB to the Mac, these songs do not show on the list of what should be on my iPhone, nor will they appear after a search of the iPhone's music through the iTunes search facility. If I can't find them, I can't delete them. They do appear when searched via the home screen swipe down search feature on the iPhone. I don't know how many of these phantom songs are using up precious memory, nor how to delete them and stop such a thing happening again!

2) Every time I sync the iPhone to the Mac, songs appear 'greyed out' and will persistnently re-appear no matter how many times I keep deleting them via iTunes. This is not connected, I believe, to the 'Show all music' feature on the phone which has been switched off. Also, thses tracks do not have the iCloud symbol next to them, such as when you set the 'Show all music' feature on. For example, I bought the latest Elbow album and after a few listens decided that I only liked half the songs and deleted the rest. Each sync, the deleted tracks appear ib the list of songs which the iTunes (on the Mac) says are in the phone.

User uploaded file

There are an ever increasing number of these and it is getting annoyoing. I am also suspicious that this too is taking up iPhone memory.

Thanks,

Dolbinator

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1, Mab Crook - latest version of OS X.

Posted on Apr 22, 2014 10:00 AM

1 reply

Apr 24, 2014 12:37 PM in response to Dolbinator1000

Hi Dolbinator1000,

Based on your description, it sounds like there may be some inconsistencies in the data that has been synced to your iPhone. You may want to try turning off Music syncing in iTunes, select Apply (which should remove all the current data), then reenable Music syncing and select Apply again (which should transfer a fresh copy of the data). The process is outlined in the following article for a different but somewhat similar issue:

iOS: "Not enough free space" alert when trying to sync

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1503

Regards,

- Brenden

iPhone Mystery Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.