Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to remove the notification center pull down?

My autistic son is obsessed with the notification center pull down, and can't focus on any apps. This has rendered the iPad useless for him!This has basically rendered the iPad useless for his educational purposes, and even his ability to concentrate on his favorite games. I realize this is a pretty unique issue, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a problem for at least a couple of other autistic kiddos out there? But even if my son is tho only kid wit this problem, I'm sure there must be other users out there who hate the fact that this pull down does not appear to be optional...

If anyone out there has found a way to turn this "feature" off, PLEASE pass some instructions my way! Thank you!

iPad, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 22, 2014 10:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2014 10:47 AM

Hi ChrisanneW,

I found this workaround on Chris Calabreese's blog. First the setup:

1. Go to the Settings app. Select General, then Accessibility.
  2. Scroll down to the very bottom and tap the Accessibility Shortcut option.
  3. Tap the AssistiveTouch option so there is a check mark next to it. This should be the only option with a check mark; if not, un-check the other options.

Once that’s done, here’s how to disable the Notification and Command Centers. This can be done from the home screen or within any app:

1. Click the Home button three times in quick succession. A black square with a white dot will appear on the screen. Tap it once.
  2. A menu with several options will open. Tap the Home option three times in quick succession. The menu will disappear.
  3. Your Notification and Command Centers should now be disabled. Try swiping down from the top of the screen and swiping up from the bottom to verify.

NOTE: I’ve discovered this method has one undesirable side effect. When Notification Center has been successfully disabled, your device will no longer sleep automatically. Your device’s battery will drain quickly if you’re not aware of this. If you want to disable Notification Center on a long-term basis, you will need to remember to manually put your device to sleep when you’re not using it by hitting the Sleep/Wake button. This effect is only temporary; if you re-enable the Notification Center (as outlined below), the device will sleep automatically once again. Because of this, I would recommend disabling Notification Center only when you really need to (when playing a game, for example), then re-enable it when you’re finished.

If you wish to enable them again, here’s how:

1. Click the Home button three times in quick succession. The black square with a white dot will appear; this time ignore it.
  2. Click the Home button again three times in quick succession. The black square with a white dot will disappear and your Notification and Command Centers should be working again.

Hope this answers your question.

~Joe

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2014 10:47 AM in response to ChrisanneW

Hi ChrisanneW,

I found this workaround on Chris Calabreese's blog. First the setup:

1. Go to the Settings app. Select General, then Accessibility.
  2. Scroll down to the very bottom and tap the Accessibility Shortcut option.
  3. Tap the AssistiveTouch option so there is a check mark next to it. This should be the only option with a check mark; if not, un-check the other options.

Once that’s done, here’s how to disable the Notification and Command Centers. This can be done from the home screen or within any app:

1. Click the Home button three times in quick succession. A black square with a white dot will appear on the screen. Tap it once.
  2. A menu with several options will open. Tap the Home option three times in quick succession. The menu will disappear.
  3. Your Notification and Command Centers should now be disabled. Try swiping down from the top of the screen and swiping up from the bottom to verify.

NOTE: I’ve discovered this method has one undesirable side effect. When Notification Center has been successfully disabled, your device will no longer sleep automatically. Your device’s battery will drain quickly if you’re not aware of this. If you want to disable Notification Center on a long-term basis, you will need to remember to manually put your device to sleep when you’re not using it by hitting the Sleep/Wake button. This effect is only temporary; if you re-enable the Notification Center (as outlined below), the device will sleep automatically once again. Because of this, I would recommend disabling Notification Center only when you really need to (when playing a game, for example), then re-enable it when you’re finished.

If you wish to enable them again, here’s how:

1. Click the Home button three times in quick succession. The black square with a white dot will appear; this time ignore it.
  2. Click the Home button again three times in quick succession. The black square with a white dot will disappear and your Notification and Command Centers should be working again.

Hope this answers your question.

~Joe

Aug 31, 2017 8:15 PM in response to nsdjoey

Thank you. After 6 months and literally hundreds of foul rated adjectives I finally was able to click my heels together 3 times and turn in a circle to get notifications square dot with a white circle to go away. A normal person would think it would have an on/off switch like Steve Jobs would have required. Iphone has gotten just about as confusing as the Galaxy and Android now so there is much less reason to continue buying iPhones. Thanks you for possibly saveing my iPhone's life.

Is there a way to remove the notification center pull down?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.