Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Set up guest network?

I just set up new time capsule, no problems , up and running.

Going from Airport Extreme to Time Capsule.

On Exteme I had a Guest network, I cannot figure out how to

set up Guest Network with Time Capsule, arrgggh!

Any suggestions? Model #A1470

Thanks

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Apr 22, 2014 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2014 11:10 AM

The Guest Network feature will not work correctly if the Time Capsule is in Bridge Mode, so it might make sense to check that first.

On your Mac....

Open Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

Click on the Time Capsule

Click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Click the Network tab at the top of the window

Check to make sure that the setting for Router Mode is set to DHCP and NAT

User uploaded file

If it is, you can proceed to the next step. If it is not, do NOT proceed any further. Post back with the make and model number of your modem.

Click the Wireless tab next to the Network tab

Enter a check mark in the box next to Enable Guest Network

Type in a name that you want to use for the Guest Network

Security should be WPA2 Or WPA/WPA2 Personal

Type in password that you want to use

Verify the password

Click Update at the lower right an allow a full minute for the Time Capsule to restart

User uploaded file

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2014 11:10 AM in response to beth shyduik

The Guest Network feature will not work correctly if the Time Capsule is in Bridge Mode, so it might make sense to check that first.

On your Mac....

Open Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

Click on the Time Capsule

Click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Click the Network tab at the top of the window

Check to make sure that the setting for Router Mode is set to DHCP and NAT

User uploaded file

If it is, you can proceed to the next step. If it is not, do NOT proceed any further. Post back with the make and model number of your modem.

Click the Wireless tab next to the Network tab

Enter a check mark in the box next to Enable Guest Network

Type in a name that you want to use for the Guest Network

Security should be WPA2 Or WPA/WPA2 Personal

Type in password that you want to use

Verify the password

Click Update at the lower right an allow a full minute for the Time Capsule to restart

User uploaded file

Mar 6, 2015 8:20 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Having the same problem -- mine is set to Bridge mode. Connected to Fios Modem that supplies NAT. My Time Capsule is using version #77300.1. I also have an AirPort Express we are using as an extender that could be used (unless guest network streams to both units)

I must get the guest network set up for a corporate training module (don't want access freely given to primary network). Can you help?

Thanks Bob

Mar 6, 2015 12:52 PM in response to kclambeth

This is a Catch 22.

Bridge Mode is the correct setting for the Time Capsule since you have a router doing NAT upstream on the network.

But....the Guest Network feature will not work correctly when the Time Capsule is in Bridge Mode, since Apple assumes that you will be using a simple modem....not a modem/router with the Time Capsule.

If you want to run the Guest Network feature correctly, then you will have to try setting up the Actiontec in Bridge Mode. If this is possible, then the Time Capsule can run in router mode of DHCP and NAT.....and.....the AirPort Express can extend both the main and guest networks.

Mar 6, 2015 2:06 PM in response to kclambeth

Tell us how you go.. normally for IP system you cannot bridge the router and still get TV.. but it depends on a number of factors.

If you run into issues.. the other way around the problem is a high power wireless router.

Dlink built an excellent unit.. DIR-645 which uses beam forming for 2.4ghz (the new AC Airport Extreme only has beam forming on 5ghz)

Here the now EOL dlink units sell for $40.. which makes them a great bargain.. cheaper than other methods to extend wireless.. simply plug it in to the router by ethernet.. and the closer you can get it to the dark zone the better but it will outpower the apple router 10x.

Set up guest network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.