Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use new itunes media folder for library

So I have been trying to move my itunes library to my external hard drive and have failed. I have got all the media on the drive and thought done delete old itunes. Except I have also deleted the itunes library.itl file and the rest. So how can I make a new one using the new itunes media folder which has everything in there so I can start using it as my new library. Many thanks.

Posted on Apr 22, 2014 12:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2014 2:19 PM

Since you have discarded your old iTunes Library.itl file I would press and hold down shift as you start iTunes so that you get a prompt to choose or create a library. Click create and make a new library at X:\iTunes where X: is the drive letter of your external drive. Next move the media folder inside the new iTunes folder (merging with any existing iTunes Media folder that may have been created there) so that it becomes X:\iTunes\iTunes Media, Finally use File > Add Folder to Library to add the contents of iTunes Media to the library.

If you have any iPods or iOS devices see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device.

tt2

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2014 2:19 PM in response to darkshanx

Since you have discarded your old iTunes Library.itl file I would press and hold down shift as you start iTunes so that you get a prompt to choose or create a library. Click create and make a new library at X:\iTunes where X: is the drive letter of your external drive. Next move the media folder inside the new iTunes folder (merging with any existing iTunes Media folder that may have been created there) so that it becomes X:\iTunes\iTunes Media, Finally use File > Add Folder to Library to add the contents of iTunes Media to the library.

If you have any iPods or iOS devices see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device.

tt2

Apr 22, 2014 2:49 PM in response to darkshanx

It may not be so much of an issue since this is the same computer used previously, but typically iTunes wants to erase Apple devices when you use a "new" library, which is why I included the recovery link. The imporant thing, since you have the media, is to backup the device so that you can restore it if needed. You may also be able to recover ratings, play counts and play lists from the device if those are of interest to you.

tt2

How to use new itunes media folder for library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.