Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

romaji keyboard broken after 7.1 update

My wife uses the Japanese Romaji keyboard on her iPhone and on our iPad and after the 7.1 update the predictive text feature is no longer working - for Japanese this is a very important feature. Anyone know how to fix this? She is really ****** at me for installing the update.

iPhone 4, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 22, 2014 12:22 PM

4 replies

Apr 22, 2014 2:44 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

No it's not autocorrection and, yes, that is turned on. I don't completely understand how the missing feature worked but I think it was something like this: Contemporary written Japanese consists of at least a couple thousand kanji characters. Using the romaji keyboard my wife used to be able to just type in romaji characters and the keyboard would offer up likely kanji characters based on the sounds (if my understanding is correct) represented by the romaji. Without this feature using the romaji keyboard to type in Japanese is very tedious and time consuming.

Jun 2, 2015 2:31 PM in response to 5staro

I had the same problem for a couple of months and now finally after updating to iOS 8.3 I decided to get it fixed.

So what I did was try different settings for your keyboards like turning autocorrect off and see if it works and so one with all the other settings. My problem was that both my Korean and Japanese keyboards wouldn't give the right format (hangul needs to be written very close to each other and also above and below each other, but it was writing all the characters separately).

These settings finally worked out for me (see picture), hope it works for you too!:

User uploaded file

romaji keyboard broken after 7.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.