Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update without sense. About 6 weeks ago I got heaps of ads by using Safari. The update didn't end this. So I got Firefox and the problem is gone. Apple should guess about to help their customers but the reaction is as always "nothing..."

You will see my message up there.

Thank you.

MacBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), Safari browser

Posted on Apr 22, 2014 3:31 PM

2 replies

Apr 22, 2014 4:25 PM in response to 215 030

The Safari 7.0.3 update did not include anything regarding pop ups > About Safari 7.0.3

From your Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Security tab.

Select: Block pop-up windows

If the ads refer to Genieo, then you need to remove malware > The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide : Genieo

I have block pop-up windows selected and have not had a single pop up.

Apr 23, 2014 5:45 AM in response to 215 030

You have probably installed some kind of adware on your computer. Using Firefox may simply be suppressing the symptoms, but is not a cure. See my Adware Removal Guide for help identifying and removing whatever it is.

(Fair disclosure: The Safe Mac is my site, and contains a Donate button, so I may receive compensation for providing links to The Safe Mac. Donations are not required.)

Update without sense. About 6 weeks ago I got heaps of ads by using Safari. The update didn't end this. So I got Firefox and the problem is gone. Apple should guess about to help their customers but the reaction is as always "nothing..."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.