Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I download iOS updates in town to bring home?

How do I download iOS updates at the library in town so I can bring my MacBook Pro home and update all my household iOS devices?

And why does my iTunes show the iPhone update from 7.1. to 7.1.1 as a 1.22 Gb file and my nephew's iPhone shows it as about 22 Mb?

I live in a wonderful rural area of the Rocky Mountains and high speed Internet here is 1.5 Mb DSL, so downloading the complete update from scracth for all our household iOS devices is very time-consuming. Qwest, before they were bought by CenturyLink, believed that their provision of 1.5 Mb DSL was God's gift to us and we should be happy. I want the REA equivalent passed for the Internet and require all those gouging telecomm companies to get on the stick with broadband to rural areas so we're not so in the dark out here.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 22, 2014 4:08 PM

1 reply

Apr 22, 2014 4:15 PM in response to formerFatMacUser

formerFatMacUser wrote:

How do I download iOS updates at the library in town so I can bring my MacBook Pro home and update all my household iOS devices?

You can't. The downloads are different for each different device.

And why does my iTunes show the iPhone update from 7.1. to 7.1.1 as a 1.22 Gb file and my nephew's iPhone shows it as about 22 Mb?

The file that you would download in iTunes is the full and complete iOS 7.1.1 update. The OTA update using WiFi is an incremental update and therefore is much, much smaller than the whole update as you can see. You would be much better off taking your devices to the library where you can have free WiFi and download the updates for all device OTA.

I just finished updating my iPad 3 and my iPhone 5S at home over WiFi and it took a total of about 15 minutes for both devices.

how do I download iOS updates in town to bring home?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.