Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading Storage in Macbook Air

I've seen a few similar questions to this, but I wanted to get an exact answer. My beloved 17" MPB has finally retired due to a logic board failure. Rather than spend the money to purchase a replacement board, I've decided to invest in a new Mac. After much deliberation, I think I've decided on the Macbook Air; however, I am going to purchase all the upgrades possible for it including processor and memory. I also want to upgrade storage, but I've realised it's about $500 cheaper to upgrade everything on the 125GB MBA, and purchase an aftermarket SSD from another company and replace it myself than buying all the upgrades from Apple. I just want to verify that I will be able to do this, and that there isn't something blocking aftermarket SSD upgrades on the lower end Macbook Air.

Posted on Apr 22, 2014 3:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2014 3:55 PM

RAM is most important, it cant be changed later.

As for the SSD, your idea is readily easy, yes. OWC sells current PCIe SSD upgrades for the latest Macbook Air

Currently Apple uses Sandisk for 128GB SSD and Samsung for 256 and 512GB SSD.

good luck. If you dont have the skills to do it, you can pay someone at a computer repair place $30 or so to install the new SSD module.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2014 3:55 PM in response to compscibabs

RAM is most important, it cant be changed later.

As for the SSD, your idea is readily easy, yes. OWC sells current PCIe SSD upgrades for the latest Macbook Air

Currently Apple uses Sandisk for 128GB SSD and Samsung for 256 and 512GB SSD.

good luck. If you dont have the skills to do it, you can pay someone at a computer repair place $30 or so to install the new SSD module.

Upgrading Storage in Macbook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.