Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New AETV apps won't allow DirecTV signin even after getting the "success" page. Any help here?

None of the new Apple TV apps let me sign in. I get the activation code go to the website, enter my DIRECTV login information, get the success screen and then nothing happens. The apps stay locked in this asked me to get login again login at least 12 times. All three apps behave the same way, history channel, A&E and lifetime.

This is the same process that I use to log into the HBO app and it worked fine. Any thoughts?

AppleTV 2

Posted on Apr 22, 2014 6:31 PM

13 replies

Apr 24, 2014 7:41 PM in response to Vultured

I can tell you that the problem is not limited to DirectTV. I have the same problem with Verizon FIOS. I posted day before yesterday here on the subject. I'm glad to see I'm not alone. I spent hours with Verizon trying to troubleshoot and got nowhere. They swore the problem had to be with Apple. I spent 30 minutes on the problem with Apple and they assured me that the problem cannot be theirs, they are simply a portal. I have submitted a ticket to the A&E network (yesterday), but have not gotten any response back yet. I'll let you know if I figure it out.

Apr 24, 2014 8:39 PM in response to Vultured

I am having the same problem with Direct TV. This was their response to my inquiry as to why there is still locked content even after unlocking that said content:

"Hello,

We are now supporting Apple TV. Please update your Apple TV to view the A&E, HISTORY and Lifetime watch apps. Once your Apple TV is updated, Lifetime, HISTORY and A&E apps will appear on your Apple TV.

We already enable many subscribers to log in to the app including Cablevision (Optimum), DirecTV and Verizon(Fios) as Cable Providers as well as many other providers. Please sign into the application to view all of the videos. You will receive a code from the application, and will enter this code into a URL in your browser. You don't have to log in to use the A&E, HISTORY and Lifetime apps. Although logging in gives you access to additional content, even regular viewers will find tons of full episodes and exclusive clips to stream. Thank you for contacting Watch App Support."

This was my reply to their less that helpful, and hopeful response:

"Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. However I have followed the instructions you included in your reply and there is still no change in what is "locked" and "unlocked" in terms of content on my Apple TV. For example, In the History Channel App for the Apple TV, when trying to watch an episode of "Pawn Stars" every single episode of season 11 is "locked" on the Apple TV, and therefore blocked from watching. Whereas on the History Channel App for my iPad all of season 11 of "Pawn Stars" is "unlocked" and I am able to watch them. I also run into similar "locked" content in the A&E App and the Lifetime App.

When trying to "unlock" these "locked" content I am prompted to go the respected web sites for The History Channel, A&E, and Lifetime, and enter a code that is given to me on the Apple TV. Every time when I am finished I am "congratulated" for my "success" and I am toke to enjoy watching content from these channels. But that is my dilemma, nothing has changed or been "unlocked", and I am still unable to view certain content from these Apps for enjoyment on my Apple TV."

In my honest opinion, either A and E Networks has no idea there is a problem, or they just don't care and are hoping subscribers will just give up and live with whatever content is available.

Apr 24, 2014 10:44 PM in response to Vultured

Same here. Having the same problem. Logged in with valid Directv Account

Followed all of the activation steps and get the Success message but no go!

Come on Apple Fix this Please!!!!!! This is a major inconvenience.

Now isn't the time too screw things up in the midst of Amazon's Fire Box release!!!!!!

We can't enjoy History, A&E, Lifetime until you guys resolve this issue.

May 1, 2014 11:14 AM in response to Vultured

Having the same issue here except VF won't even let me sign into my account to get a success message however I can sign in on the he iPad app no problem using the same username and password. Anyone else notice that the accepted providers for the iPad app and the Apple TV app are different? I hope apple fixes this soon! I was all excited for the new additions to the Apple TV but what's the point if you can't even use them?

May 3, 2014 4:21 PM in response to rad-1

Rad-1 thanks for the solution!!! That was driving me insane!

Long story short, I have two Apple TVs and I was having the same problem on both of them. Even after getting this success screen on my iMac and or iPhone it still wouldn't sign in on either Apple TV. So using rad-1's solution, I logged in on internet explorer for one of the Apple TVs and per Salliemac I used chrome on my MacBook for the other and this solution worked for all three of the new apps on both of my Apple TV's. I don't understand why it won't work on Safari or mobile Safari but this worked for me. Also activation of the three of the apps on two Apple TVs, all varied in times ranging from instantly to about 30 seconds.

Thanks so much rad-1 and salliemac!

May 12, 2014 8:41 AM in response to rad-1

I had success from Chrome or Firefox, I forget which, but after successfully activating the device, the Apple TV went from showing the code to showing an error message saying that it couldn't contact the A+E Networks and suggesting that I try again later. I have still not been successful watching this content on the Apple TV. *****.

Jul 15, 2016 7:37 AM in response to Vultured

Try activating on a PC or using IE browser. I have had this problem and have been trying to activate on my Macbook Pro, no luck. After reading a post by rad-1, tried it on an old Acer laptop. What do you know, it works. There is a 10-20 second delay so just wait a bit and it should work. Come on Apple, get off your *** and fix this. Should be simple

to correct.

New AETV apps won't allow DirecTV signin even after getting the "success" page. Any help here?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.