Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has anybody NOT returned their battery after the recall?

My battery is eligible for the recall, and I've submitted the form online. Like it's been stated in other posts, Apple never asks for any credit card information. Despite the potential problems of continuing to use a bad battery, has anybody decided not to return theirs? Has Apple tried to charge any of you? What's the deal with this? Right now my current battery is holding up just fine and I'd like to continue to use it as long as it is functioning normally. Thanks.

MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.7), 256MB VRAM, 2GB RAM, 100GB 7200 RPM HD

Posted on Aug 23, 2006 11:07 AM

27 replies

Aug 23, 2006 11:12 AM in response to charrison

I think time will show you that your battery will fail. Even non-recalled batteries have been failing.

Apple will charge you for not returning the battery. They will probably start by sending a bill to your shipping address for the battery. If that isn't paid in 30 days, they will probably send the bill to a collection agency that will come after you via mail. If you don't pay them, they will ruin your credit.

Trust me, it's not worth it to keep the defective battery. Have you seen the reports of "batteries catching fire" recently on the news? That should be reason enough to send back your DEFECTIVE battery.

I'd hate to see you get hurt by continuing to use your battery. Just do the right thing and send the defect back.

Aug 23, 2006 12:41 PM in response to charrison

If you are not registered with credit card info you won't get your battery. I filled in the online form and waited nearly 2 weeks. I decided to call and see what the holdup was. They said they can't ship it without a credit card. They could have at least e-mailed me and told me this. I ended up going to the Apple Store near my house and they did the exchange for me on the spot. My battery was fine too so I was a little hesitant to get it replaced. I'm glad I did. It seems a lot cooler now and I get like 4+ hours out of it. My week 11 MBP has run flawlessly since day 1. No whine or anything. *crosses fingers*

Aug 23, 2006 12:40 PM in response to My Last Confession

I have week 19 17" MBP.

You may not be in the "recalled" range week 19 seems a little late.

1) I never received any information on a battery
recall.

Apple did not send out information, you need to crossreference your battery to a list online

2) My battery seems to be working fine.

That's great, your battery may not be one of the "recalled" ones. If it is, it can still function properly (for now)

3) I recent sent the MBP in for a MLB replacement. If
the battery were defective, would they have replaced
it then?

Not always. Apple would have let you know on the invoice if they replaced your battery - there must be a paper trail of what they did.

So they either didn't replace it because:
1. you were not eligible
2. they did not look

If I were you I'd click on the "support" button and search for MBP battery replacement program to check to see if you're eligible

Aug 23, 2006 8:28 PM in response to Xelapond

This is the drill:

You contact apple via the web form to notify them of the defect - you must enter your battery's serial number.

Apple sends you a new battery in 2-5 business days.

When you receive the new battery, you place it in your computer, place the old one in the packaging provided and send it back to apple.

It's as easy as that. No need to send in the computer, no need to send out a battery before receiving the brand new one

Aug 25, 2006 7:34 PM in response to Shane M

To all concerned:

It is a simple process. I sent the online request form on Monday evening and had the battery was waiting for me when I got home Wed afternoon. You will not lose any computing time.

Inside the box, there is a sheet with the instructions. Read them carefully. They tell you exactly how to return your old defective battery. There is also info on what happens if you don't return it. Apple has made it easy for you to get a new battery, don't make it difficult for them by not returning it.

IMac G5 Mac OS X (10.4.6) 1G memory

Aug 26, 2006 7:16 AM in response to rom.ph

hi i bought my MBP 15.4" from saudi arabia now im in egypt wonder i they can replace the Batterie for me there cause it have the same S/n number apple said so i just called them and told them that i want it replaces as apple say it should so the man told me to get my MBP to them tommorw .??

i hope they replace it and dont say no cause i bought it from saudi arabia and i'am at egypt now ?

shall i call apple care in usa if they didn't !!

and isn't it my right to replace the batterie any where isn't that why they laptop!!!

advice ppl

Aug 26, 2006 5:26 PM in response to homertime33

I agree that you should send the recalled battery back after you received the new one, but it's important to note that there is no (known) safety issue with the 15" MacBook Pro batteries. Just continue to use it until the replacement arrives. The recall is for performance reasons only (contrary to the iBook G4 / PowerBook G4 recall, where the batteries usually perform fine but have a safety issue).

Has anybody NOT returned their battery after the recall?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.