Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to stop ads for new games pop up

When my children are playing games is there a way to stop pop ups for new games? Its constant and they cant sit and play a game? Also is there a way to play without pop ups asking for money? Feel like these games are all a con to get you to pay a fortune

iPad Air Wi-Fi

Posted on Apr 23, 2014 3:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2014 5:19 AM

The games you install and purchase are your choice to make. If you don't like the ads being displayed by some free games, don't download them or delete them. If you don't want to purchase the games, deal with whatever ads the developer of that game chooses to use.

The price of your tablet is irrelevant. It doesn't matter what kind of device you are using... if you want to use more than the default, preinstalled apps, you must either purchase them or download free apps, and if you choose to stick with free apps, you must be willing to deal with the limitations of those apps. At least on an iPad (or iPhone or iPod Touch) you don't have to worry that these apps might be malware, like you would on any other device on the planet. Ads are the worst you have to deal with.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2014 5:19 AM in response to babybaillie

The games you install and purchase are your choice to make. If you don't like the ads being displayed by some free games, don't download them or delete them. If you don't want to purchase the games, deal with whatever ads the developer of that game chooses to use.

The price of your tablet is irrelevant. It doesn't matter what kind of device you are using... if you want to use more than the default, preinstalled apps, you must either purchase them or download free apps, and if you choose to stick with free apps, you must be willing to deal with the limitations of those apps. At least on an iPad (or iPhone or iPod Touch) you don't have to worry that these apps might be malware, like you would on any other device on the planet. Ads are the worst you have to deal with.

Apr 23, 2014 3:36 AM in response to babybaillie

The games that you download for free always have pop ups for ads. The developer has to get paid for his/her work somehow. The ads help subsidize the cost of the app so that you don't have to pay for your kids to play the game.

The real easy solution is to purchase the paid version of the game and the pop up ads should go away.

Apr 23, 2014 3:58 AM in response to babybaillie

I think that you are still missing the point. You are experincing this pop up ad thing with games that you downloaded for free. When you download the paid versions of those games, the pop up ads go away. The developer sells advertising in order to be able to give you the game for free. The ads have nothing to do with the particular game that you are playing. It is merely paid advertising - like TV commercials.

Nobody is twisting your arm to purchase games for your kids. You are downloading the free games out of choice. The price that you pay for "free" games, is that you must sit through the pop up ads.

Apr 23, 2014 4:35 AM in response to babybaillie

Yep.

Most if not all 'free' games are really just adware. Like said, the developer has to get paid somehow. Paid games are ad free or at the very least, ad reduced. (I've paid for my angry birds app but still get ads for their other products and games)

You may also want to vet the games. Some developers are more easy to work with than others. Read the reviews and look at the ratings. There are some 'games' out there that are nothing but ads and very little game. This will usually be reflected in the ratings. Download cruddy games, get cruddy ads.

If you haven't already you may also want to restrict in app purchases since most games anymore are 'free' but want you to pay to play via in app purchases. If your children are playing games unattended they could rack up quite a bill without even realizing it, so locking out in app purchases is a way to protect against that.

Jun 1, 2016 2:14 AM in response to Demo

I have been playing smurfs for some time on my iPad Air and I did not have pop up adverts or other games bothering me. Since the recent upgrades of the operating system I have been harassed by these pop ups! This puts me off playing smurfs! Why aren't there pop ups when I am reading the news or playing some other games like sudoku?

Jun 1, 2016 3:39 AM in response to jhtickle

The ad behavior will not be consistent across apps and there's no reason you should expect it to be. Even some free apps are ad free, some are not. Those that are not may have a few ads, or many ads. None of Apple's iOS bundled apps use pop-up ads, although clicking on individual new stories or feeds in the news app can lead you to ads in the publishers news feed.

But as far as 3rd party free apps and ads, if you're unhappy, complain to the developer, not Apple.

how to stop ads for new games pop up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.