Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I save my animation as a Quicktime.mov , I cannot display the movie. The Quicktime .mov only registers as 9 bytes even though its a large movie, I get an error message "Quicktime player cannot open the movie. To see if additional software is availa

When I save my animation as a Quicktime.mov

, I cannot display the movie. The Quicktime .mov only registers as 9 bytes even though its a large movie, I get an error message

"Quicktime player cannot open the movie.

To see if additional software is available that will enable quicktime to open the movie click.. "

I have a MacBook Pro 8GB ram

Kindly help me resolve this problem Thanks

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 23, 2014 5:56 AM

4 replies

Apr 23, 2014 7:27 AM in response to neuralcrest

When I save my animation as a Quicktime.mov, I cannot display the movie. The Quicktime .mov only registers as 9 bytes even though its a large movie, I get an error message

"Quicktime player cannot open the movie.

To see if additional software is available that will enable quicktime to open the movie click.. "

I have a MacBook Pro 8GB ram

1) MOV simply refers to the QuickTime generic file container. Any compression format, including third-party compression formats which are not compatible with the QT confiuration on one omputer can be placed in the MOV file container that will not play on another computer. So the first thing you have to do is state what compression format(s) are being used to store your "animation" data in MOV file containers.

2) If by "animation" you are referring to the Apple Animation codec here, then be advised that this codec is not supported by the AVFoundation used by the QT X player under Mavericks nor supported by third-party players which do not access the QT "classic" 32-bit system configuration. Therefore it is necessary to also know what player you are using to "display the movie" that doesn't work and the operating system in use if other than the Mac OS X version stated in your posted post script info.

3) Video content can be stored as either "Standalone" or "Reference" MOV files. The former actually contain compressed data and are played as "independent" files. The latter either point to data in other files or contain edits/instructions telling how to play the data in other files. In either case, "Reference" files must be able to "access" the data if they are to play correctly since they do not actually contain the "source" data. These reference files can be very, very small if all they do is "point" to resourced file data and relatively small if they contain specific editing/playback instructions along with these pointers. Thus, it is also important to know how you created the "MOV" files and/or if/how files may have been moved or copied on the off chance that resource data may have been orphaned by your particular workflow.

The message you quoted here would seem to imply that the data is not accessable or that it is not being recognized.

User uploaded file

When I save my animation as a Quicktime.mov , I cannot display the movie. The Quicktime .mov only registers as 9 bytes even though its a large movie, I get an error message "Quicktime player cannot open the movie. To see if additional software is availa

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.