Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hallo - I'm sure this question has been asked many times before but still can't get my head around it

I have an 'n' version Airport Express (1st Generation) and want to use it to AirPlay music from iTunes on my Mac to my HiFi in the next room. That's all I want to use it for. Have set it up to join an existing wireless network. However it will only work with an ethernet cable connected to the router. Loses the green light when cable is unplugged. As the hifi is in the next room I want it to work wirelessly, otherwise there'll be cables everywhere (as at present - ugh!) What do I have to do? What setting needs to be changed. Thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 23, 2014 7:21 AM

7 replies

Apr 23, 2014 9:02 AM in response to GPRogers

If you want the Express to connect wirelessly, you must set it up that way.

If you connect an Ethernet cable to the Expess and go through the setup, the utility assumes that this is the way that you will permanently install the AirPort Express and configures it accordingly. Then, when you remove the Ethernet cable, it breaks the connection.

Apr 26, 2014 4:29 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Well, I'd all but given up and decided I'd live with it ethernet connected with wires draped everywhere...then I had another look this moring and found this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2098

I have a non Apple, older (Thompson) router. After a factory reset, and when going through the 'join existing network' procedure when sked for the WEP password you need to put a $ before the password...and hay presto...the set up completes and...AirPlay works! I suspect many might not have discovered this page of support information and will have been as frustrated as me for many many hours!

Hallo - I'm sure this question has been asked many times before but still can't get my head around it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.