Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am unable to update devices with Apple Configurator because of this message - unable to send ClearPasscode command to device - I am running Configurator 1.5 and ios 7.1.1. I am unable to rename/number devices. How can I get rid of this error message.

I am unable to update devices with Apple Configurator because of this message - unable to send ClearPasscode command to device - I am running Configurator 1.5 and ios 7.1.1. I am unable to rename/number devices. How can I get rid of this error message.

iPad 2, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on Apr 23, 2014 7:34 AM

3 replies

Apr 28, 2014 12:06 PM in response to sz3johnson

I've seen this error too. When I can, I ask the user (in our case a student) for their passcode, enter it and then refresh the iPad. If I cannot get the passcode from them, I pick an app that was not previously installed by Apple Configurator (e.g. Adobe PDF Reader in our case), check it to install, then refresh the device. Not sure what happens, but it seems to clear the passcode. If that does not work, you might try creating a passcode policy, install it and then remove it - not sure if that will work or not, but it is worth a try.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.