Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bondi iMac on Ethernet going to DSL issues

At present I have a two-machine network consisting of a Bondi iMac (OS 10.3.9) and a beige G3 desktop connected via a lone Netgear four-port Ethernet hub -- NOT a router. Does one HAVE TO replace the hub with a router in order to use a DSL modem?

As an additional request, if anyone has a few pointers/favorite sites on how one SHOULD go about this, it would be appreciated. Specifically I'm interested in accessing the DSL remotely from the other machine(s).

Thanks in advance.

Beige G3/266, Bondi iMac 333, Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Posted on Aug 23, 2006 1:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2006 11:17 PM

if your broadband company provides more than one IP address through a single connection, thenm a hub would suffice. most often, they only supply a single IP address, meaning you need a router to share the connection. I highly recommend linksys gear. I've personally always had good luck with them.
6 replies

Aug 24, 2006 2:26 AM in response to Strider

I also have a Linksys router and it has always worked great. I'm not sure about your final question, but consider this... The router acts like a little computer. With my Linksys router, I use a browser on my Mac (directed to a specified URL) to configure the router. Once configured, it interfaces with the DSL connection, and does what your single computer used to do to get connected. So any special DSL connection software that came from your service provider... you no longer need it installed because the router is handling that function.

Once the router is connected to DSL, your two Macs are simply using the local network to talk to the router. The router distributes the DSL connection to the two Macs and it also acts as a hub for the local network. You can still use your hub if the typical 4 connectors on the linksys is not enough, or if you want to run a wire to the next room for a network/internet connection point.

Aug 29, 2006 9:36 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

I also have a Linksys router and it has always worked
great. I'm not sure about your final question, but
consider this... The router acts like a little
computer. With my Linksys router, I use a browser on
my Mac (directed to a specified URL) to configure the
router. Once configured, it interfaces with the DSL
connection, and does what your single computer used
to do to get connected. So any special DSL
connection software that came from your service
provider... you no longer need it installed because
the router is handling that function.

Just curious: Who are you using for your DSL? I just setup today with AT&T.

Friday I picked up a Linkys BEFSR41 Cable/DSL Router on sale from CompUSA, but have yet to add that to the mix. Right now I'm just connected to the DSL modem, not to the router (and the other machine). Naturally, I'd like to restore the connection to the other machine. Any tips or warnings would be welcome.

Aug 29, 2006 4:32 PM in response to Michael Hetes

Back when I had DSL, it was with the local phone company, SBC (which took over for PacBell) which is now AT&T. I had that router then. The ID and password were entered into the config screen of the router, and it connected automatically upon activity if there as a period of extended inactivity. You could also set it to continuously maintain the connection (I guess it simulated activity).

I now have cable through Comcast. With cable, there is not ID or password. The connection seems to be on all the time. Overall, I like it better. However, DSL was more reliable; cable has more outages.

Bondi iMac on Ethernet going to DSL issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.