Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which machine is best for Video Editing?

Hi everyone,

I am currently having a debate in my head and will try to explain the situation as best as possible.

I currently own a:

27" Mid 2010 iMac

Processor: 3.2GHz Intel Core i3

Memory: 12GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5670 512MB

OS X 10.9.1

I am thinking of selling as my partner has a newer model Imac and as Professional Videographers/Filmmakers, I think especially because a lot of our work is on the road, it would be wise to have 1 Imac and 1 Laptop as opposed to 2x Imacs (Only 1 is ever used at a time).

Now completely removing the aspect that my partner has a newer Imac with a better processor etc.

I am looking to buy a MacBook Pro. The Screen size isn't an issue. I simply want a machine that can "out perform" my current iMac to justify selling my iMac and replacing it with a MacBook Pro.

The current model I am looking into is the one at this link - http://store.apple.com/uk/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MD101B/A&step=config the 13" MacBook Pro

It will have:

13" Screen which will most likely use a bigger display (Monitor)
2.9GHz Dual Core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 3.6 GHz)
8 GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM (2x 4GB) NOTE: I will likely add another 8GB if possible for a total of 16GB.

I'm not sure what Graphics Card or dedicated RAM it comes with.

So which is best, my current 4 year old iMac or the newer MacBook Pro listed above? I edit using Adobe CS6 (After Effects, Premier) and FCP7 with DaVinci Resolve for Color Grading and ProTools for audio.

On a side note: Is it only the new Retina Display machines that can output 4k?

Thank you in advance.

iMac

Posted on Apr 23, 2014 6:35 PM

5 replies

Apr 27, 2014 10:13 AM in response to Jay Video

Michael makes a very good point here. If you wish to continue with FCS3 (FCP7) you should probably keep both your current machines so you have back-up. If you need a laptop, just get one.

On a side note: Is it only the new Retina Display machines that can output 4k?

I've seen some stuff on limitations on driving 4K screens on the Retina machines and a revision of Mavericks coming that should allow higher frequencies, but outputting 4K is an altogether different thing. It is my impression that anyone short of a major studio is cutting large-format shows in 1080 as a proxy and then conforming to 2K-4K. Probably best to leave 4K playback to a new Mac Pro, the data rates are probably beyond what an iMac/MacBook can handle.

Oct 16, 2014 1:14 PM in response to Jay Video

You can do as I do and create a partition on either your iMac or a new MCP. On one partition I run OS 10.6.8, and on the other I run Mavericks. FCP 7 has some gamma issues sometimes in Mavericks, so for color correcting, I shut down, turn it back on and boot into the 10.6.8 partition. I am starting the transition to FCP X but I need to keep 10.6.8 and FCP 7 because I frequently have to revisit past projects. I'm on a 2011 MBP but will likely move to a new iMac.

Which machine is best for Video Editing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.